“Very good for the money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Windsor

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Windsor
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Windsor
“Very good for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I booked 6 rooms for a group of us attending a function. The staff was very helpful. The rooms we had were clean spacious and comfortable. I would stay here the next time I come back to Windsor The breakfast in the morning was good for a continental breakfast there was more than enough food to eat. Considering there were a lot of teenagers there for a hockey tournament the hotel was very quiet thank you for a good stay

• Stayed October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
George C, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hello Nonnabags,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased that your stay with us was an enjoyable one. I am also glad that you found your Superior guest rooms to be very spacious and comfortable.

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you are in Windsor.

George Chifor, General Manager
Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Windsor Central

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

The hotel is outdated. Our smoke-free rooms smelled like urine mixed with stale smoke. I wore shoes in the room as the carpet was sticky. This hotel has not been updated since the '80's. I would rather have stayed in my car. Breakfast buffet is not worth their effort to put out something. I cannot believe the other ratings that said anything positive. There were 40+ people in our group that will never stay at a Howard Johnson's again, because of this experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SuzanneLeaf

Travelers are raving about these Windsor hotels

Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I spent a night here with my girlfriend to celebrate her birthday. I personally thought the hotel was just fine. The room was inexpensive and we didn't encounter any of the problems that others have been talking about. The room size was just fine, no different than any other mid-grade hotel. I didn't really think the furniture was outdated, but then again I didn't really care. I paid $10 more for a pillow top bed, and it was worth it. The bathroom could have been bigger, but still no complaints.

Bottom line, if you are looking to save a buck and still have a decent stay, this hotel is right for you. I would suggest spending a little extra for an upgraded bed! it is also next to a Tim Horton's which was nice.

Room Tip: Get the large queen bed. It is very comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
lawmasters, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Windsor, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry your stay at our hotel was less than pleasant. To respond to your review, we are taking steps to renovate our hotel, but we are undertaking such renovations in phases. We have started with our Superior Guest Rooms and are coming to the close of that phase. The beds in our Superior Guest Rooms have pillow-top mattresses.

We plan to do some renovations to our Standard Guest Rooms in the coming year. I believe that you might have stayed in one of Standard Guest Rooms. On your next trip to Windsor, I hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again.

George Chifor, General Manager
Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Windsor Central
POWELL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was VERY disappointed in this hotel. The hotel needs a complete overhaul. It smelled, which makes you feel like the place is filthy. NOTHING in the place has been replaced since the 1950's. The sheets were worn thin, even had holes. The sink and tub acutally use rubber stoppers. This place has definitely not put a 5 year plan, a 50 year plan in place. Makes you wonder what they do with the money????

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family