“We did love it and we will be back”

Sunbridge Hotel & Conference Centre Downtown Windsor
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Windsor
Reviewed July 21, 2011

In our travels before in Ont. we always stayed at another hotel.
We choose the Holiday Inn for it's location to the Detroit River. We were enjoying all the activities there, especially the Blues Fest. To our suprise it was very affordable. The staff was so personable but very professional. Our room was perfect very clean spacious, there was really no hurry in the am to leave. We felt very comfortable, the pool was an added bonus. Every thing was so enjoyable about our stay, perhaps the genuine friendliness of the staff won us over. We will be back.
Thanking you
Samantha & Joe

2  Thank PMPOntario

Reviewed July 19, 2011

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon to check in. The young lady that checked us in informed us she was moving us to an upgrage room so we would not be on same floor as the young adults, WOW! with two small kids this meant a full night sleep. The entire stay was great, the staff natually said hello when we got off the elevator and the housekeeper's made it a point to ask if there was anything else she could do or get for us. Very impressed with the rooms- let my kids run in bare feet! Did not need to move our car all weekend, nice long walks on the riverfront, great resturants. First time to Windsor-thank you for a wonderful weekend.

1  Thank MMP2
Reviewed July 3, 2011

First of all I would like to start by saying that I am not one to complain however when you book a room with the Holiday Inn you expect a certain service my stay at this location left a bad taste in my mouth Literally! If you have been to Windsor you know the summer heat is deadly, so air conditioning a must for sure! With 4 in a room we had the air on and it was nice and refreshing to walk into when evening fell it was cool but to turn it down or off the room heated up in minutes. My daughter 13 and I shared a bed, my first call to reception was around 10 pm requesting extra blankets as we were each sharing and required 2 extra. "someone will be right up" 1130 I called again "someone will be right there sorry about that" 1230 final call "someone will be right there" we never received our blankets which forced me to continually adjust the temp in the room. Needless to say I had almost no sleep before my 7 hour drive home! In the am there was no record of my calls to reception ! ( a closet 2 doors down stored blankets ...but nobody could get me blankets!!)
The other incident happened in the hotel elevator, an employee had clearly just finished smoking a joint in the elevator when we got into it !! he was visibly nervous when we got in and I was just disgusted!! I could taste it and felt sick from the stench! He quickly got off at the first stop ...I was very tankful my daughter was not with me at this time!! upon returning to my room my brother and I decided to go to the front desk however when the elevator doors opened the gentle man was in the lobby I was not comfortable in that situation so we decided I would go down in the am ......) The first reaction by staff was to give me back my parking cost!! seriously?? the woman checking out in front of me complained about a tv reception and got her parking back hardly comparable! Once i spoke with the manager she cedited me half my money back ...still seems to me the very minimal considering the situation! Would I stay at a Holiday Inn again yes I am sure I will we travel plenty , even this one down town I am however disappointed with the customer service ....after all the happy customer is the returning one!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
HIWINDSOR, Manager at Sunbridge Hotel & Conference Centre Downtown Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

Dear pardyx5
Our sincerest apologizes for any inconvenience you experienced on your last stay here at the Holiday Inn Downtown Windsor. We take these service issues very seriously and look for opportunities to ensure they are not repeated. I assure you that your comments have been shared with the entire team.
Once again, I do apologize and thank you for your comments.

Regards,

Reviewed June 30, 2011

Great hotel. First time at this hotel will be back. They know how to do it right. Young lady who checked me in really made my day. Room was spotless every housekeeper said hello to me during my stay. Don't change a thing.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank travel7442139

Thank you for your wonderful comments! I will be sure to share them with the entire team here at the hotel.

Regards,

Reviewed June 28, 2011

I just can't image why so many bad reviews on this place. The service was fast friendly and helpful. We stayed 2 nights to take in the downtown Windsor action and just stepped into the street for a great view of the fireworks,,,yes we'll be going back next year. On the 2nd level parking area is a picnic table that let's you sit and people watch while enjoying our beers.Many eating spots with in 2 blocks open till 4 am. I love this location and the staff and I think you will too.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BREWINGBIGBEERS
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We tend to be a fan of interesting, boutique style hotels. I usually put a bit of research into each trip to find something new and different. The Holiday Inn is definitely not on the list of "our style" of accommodation.

But, this was a spontaneous trip with no pre-planning, so as we rolled into Windsor, we headed to the visitors information center. The woman helping us there called around a bit, and we actually opted for the least expensive room at another hotel, but when we drove to that hotel, we decided we weren't too keen on our choice, and promptly headed over to the Holiday Inn instead.

The woman who helped us reserve a room was incredibly friend and efficient. For whatever reason, she chose to upgrade us to the elite floor (awesome.) Our room was clean, the bed incredibly comfortable, and our view of passport control amused us greatly. We paid a small sum for parking, and the hotel is so conveniently located that we parked and were able to walk everywhere we desired. There was also wireless internet included, which is always a requirement!

My only minor complaint was that the vanity in the bathroom was quite large, leaving very little space for a person to actually make use of the commode.

We did eat a delicious breakfast in the on-site restaurant the next morning (including a discount for hotel guests.)

All in all, the hotel is still not "our style" but it's definitely given me a bit of perspective and a bit more open mindedness. I'd gladly choose a Holiday Inn again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank babblingbrook78
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I do not understand how this place has received almost 4 stars. It is located right across one of the loudest bars/nightclubs in Windsor. So make sure you are not facing the street side. Rooms are really not very clean. Do a quick scan of your room and you will find dirt at every corner. My tub was dirty and the rest of the bathroom was the same. Ancient TV monitors with very poor reception. Forget about using the "high speed" wireless..you will be waiting forever to check emails.

On top of all this, they tend to allow underage teenagers to rent entire floors with friends and party all night. I am sure if I contacted the police many would have been arrested that evening.

When I arrived I specifically asked for a quiet room because I had to go to bed early because of an early meeting the following day. Well their professional staff placed be me one floor above the loud pool area that was open until 10-10:30 pm. All I heard until the pool area was closed was youing kids screaming and doing belly flops. Then from 10:30 until I packed my belongings and left at 11:30pm was around 2 dozen young teens boozing it up and chasing each other down the hallways.

I am not upset at the young people or the children all having fun. I am upset with the way the staff knew in advance that this was not a quiet part of the Hotel but still decided to book me in that room. When I called down to complain and request another room, they said everything was booked. When I showed up at the front desk with my luggage ready to check out...they immediately found 2 other rooms at a different level. I still left. This place has given me a sour taste and that not every Holiday Inn lives up to its reputation.

By the way I am a Platinum Member with Holday Inn which means in the last 12 months I have spent nearly 60 nights in their Hotels and yes I deserve to be treated a little better as I have given them thousands of dollars in business.

Avoid this place if you can. If you need to stay at a Holiday Inn, stay at the other location they have in town, I beleive its on Huron Church.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business