“Best food and service” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Cook's Shop Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 768 Restaurants in Windsor
Cuisines: Italian, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Detroit, Michigan
“Best food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Had dinner at this restaurant this past Saturday and what an amazing experience! We had reservations and we're immediately seated upon arrival. The food is absolutely amazing and what real Italian food should taste like. The staff was great and very attentive. We had the pleasure of meeting the owner who was so passionate and could tell he really loved what he does. The wine selection was great and this place is so cozy that we did not want to leave. It really felt like we were in Italy. I cannot wait to go back here! This is a must if your visiting Ontario

Lakeshore, Ontario
“Overhyped. Below average. GARLIC BREATH ALERT!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Don't understand all the rave reviews all these years.

We got a gift certificate,we were expecting great things but were very disappointed.

Have to make reservations long in advance.

The place is located in a below grade/basement level. Feels like a dungeon which was dimly lit. Not romantic at all if thats what they are striving for. I think it's dark to hide how grimy and old the place looks. The dinnerware/tableware/utensils are old and mismatched. The salad came in a mixing bowl and consisted of lettuce and mayonnaise. Gross. Our entrées were heavily laden with garlic. I guess everything here is Heavy on Garlic. People would joke to us that once you eat here you'll reak/exude of garlic for a week, now I know why. And don't get me wrong we love garlic like the whole roasted clove garlic spread at Spagos but these dishes are a bit much.

Price 5/10
Quality 6/10
Service 4/10
Atmosphere 1/10

4 Thank GordonRamsaySr
windsor
“Intimate Ambience, Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

This place is situated off Ouellette Ave. but once you descend the stairs to enter the Cook Shop it's as though you've stepped foot into an intimate European wine cave. The ambience and atmosphere is very romantic, great for couples or small groups(4 or less), it's not very conducive to larger groups because first, it's a small restaurant- logistically, you can't just cram a bunch of tables together to accommodate because there is no room. Secondly, it’s one of those places where if you’re yelling across the table to converse everyone can hear you. That being said, reservations are highly recommended because they are always booked solid.

The menu is simple yet delicious and the prices are very reasonable as well. We’ve been here a few times and had escargots, mussels, their egg drop tortellini soup, lamb chops, NY steak, filet mignon and everything was delicious. They also have a varied wine selection as well, you’ll see your waiter dive into the wine cellar and emerge with your bottle of vino. Service is friendly and prompt, you can tell the wait staff works hard. One of the best places to eat in Windsor!

1 Thank DTP_88
Windsor, Canada
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

I first want to address a recent post regarding large groups - the evening we went here, there was a group of about 7 women in the restaurant. They were loud, rowdy, disruptive and disrespectful. My boyfriend and I were there for a romantic, quiet meal (he also proposed there that night after the 'yucky people' left). While I can understand the disappointment of some folks not being able to go here with a larger group of people, it really is for the best that they are strict with their policy. Not that the poster would have been loud or disruptive, but the group of trashy young women in the restaurant that night was so disruptive that I had a very hard time enjoying myself because their conversation was so lewd, and the sheer loudness of their voices prevented me from having a nice conversation with my fiancé because I had no desire to yell to be heard above their cackling and loud talking. People go here for the quaintness, charm and romantic intimate ambiance. A large group could very well be disruptive to others who went there looking for a nice, quiet, romantic meal - intentional or not.
All that being said, I will certainly be back - I realize that the table of trashy women was a fluke, and the experience would have been perfect otherwise. It was still very enjoyable, and the staff was very nice and friendly and was so gracious to us after my boyfriend proposed. It was definitely a night I'll never forget.
The prices were very reasonable, and the food was great - I could have just eaten the garlic bread all night though, it was just so buttery, warm and amazing.
I look forward to returning in the near future.

Windsor, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great restaurant but not for a big group”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

We have been to this restaurants many times actually it is my go to restaurant. Ask me where I want to go it will be the cook shop. However, I was disapointed to find out they will not serve groups over 7 even if you want 2 tables. We had 9 people and they would not accept our reservation. I guess I can understand but I will miss my Lamb chops and the platter of mushrooms. So sad Oh well some other restaurant will take us.....My service rating is because they would not accomadate us other wise it would have been a 5

• 3 of 5 bubbles