“Wedding Time”

Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Windsor
Calgary, Canada
“Wedding Time”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The Ivy rose motor inn is a great place to stay in Windsor. And the food taste great and the price was right. We had little time to get ready for a wedding but we loved it and we will be back next year

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I made a choice to stay here based on a friend's recommendation, supported by the comments here. Perhaps we were there in alternative universes.. that is the only conclusion I can make.

I arrived at 11:30 pm, was buzzed through the door and met by a very large dog on the other side. The proprietor came out of a back room, and was peeved that I was so late, but still checked me in, told me that the dog would only bite me if she decided that I was not a good person (the dog did not bite me). The room was $51, and I was told that was a "bargoon" based on other places in the area.

At the doorway of the room, the concrete was broken and a bit treacherous, the overhead lighting, very dim, the paint was peeling from the window frames, and the door itself.

I went into the room, it was musty and mouldy smelling. There was black mould on the paper towels stuffed under the window air conditioner to keep it from leaking. The furniture, carpet and bathroom have not been updated since the 60s. The bathroom, with it's quaint sea green fixtures had cracked tiles, a giant hairball in the middle of the floor, and dirt in the tub. The toilet was, however, sealed with one of those paper seals, in order to ensure that it was truly "sanitary". That part was amusing, given how dirty the rest of the bathroom was.

I turned on the a/c and it was so loud there was no possibility of sleeping through that, and as I turned around I noticed a large bug crawling up the wall.

And with that, I turned off the a/c, the lights, left the key on the table and went back into my car. I called the front desk to tell them I would not be staying. No one answered the phone, there is no voicemail. I tried calling again the next day, same response..as in, none.

I looked into nearby hotels, and got a room at the Windsor Casino for $89. I forfeited my $51, but I don't care.. there was no way that I could have spent another minute in such an awful place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank NJM1957

Travelers are raving about these Windsor hotels

Kincardine
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here about 4 years ago.
Stayed one night last week, and as usual the owners and staff were very welcoming. We felt like their guests - not just customers. Place is decorated as if it were the owners own home with cluttery sort of Victorian style bric-a-brac... but makes for a cosy home-y feel. Best value for a place to stay!! Comfy beds, clean rooms, quiet, and they give you a coupon for discount on breakfast. Have a pool too!
We'll be back again.

Room Tip: Higher room has a lot of stairs to be climbed and no elevator. But no over head noise. Blower dry an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M B
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in 2012 and really enjoyed it! The staff are wonderful, it is clean and the meals in the attached restaurant are first class! Good portions and great prices! Will definitely stay here again if we are in the area!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night travelling from Chicago to Toronto, and have to say that the lady on reception who checked me in was very friendly. The rooms were a bit dated, but pretty standard motel rooms and plenty of space and comfortable bed.
We got $2 each off breakfast at the attached diner and I thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast, plus the service was excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ads102
Lombardy
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Ivy Rose while in Windsor the Skate Canada International Oct 24-29th, 2012. The rooms are basic but clean. We had a family room with 2 queen sized and two twin beds. There was an apartment sized frig, microwave and kettle but the kitchen was not supplied with any dishes, utensils etc. We were given coupons for $2.00 off breakfast at the restaurant. It was good food and the waitress staff were exceptional. They remembered our special needs. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Windsor treated me very well. There are other restaurants in the area, a Tim's across the road and you can see the Devonshire Mall from the Motel. It seemed our room was also used for storage as there were wooden tables and chairs stacked in our room but I didn't really care. The desk staff were very helpful. I would stay there again for a budget stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Region of Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This was not our first stay here and other members of my extended family stay here regularly when visiting Windsor.
The rooms are clean and many show signs of recent upgrades.
At $65 a night it's really hard to beat.
As for the restaurant we usually do the buffet breakfast and I love it as it's nearly impossible to find corned beer hash anywhere!
My wife ordered off the menu and her eggs were done perfectly and the size of the meal was also a great value.

Room Tip: My brother had room 124 and it was fully remodeled including an awesome mattress.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family