“It'd be worth the drive from anywhere in S.E. Ontario to try out this food!”

Wilno Tavern Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Wilno
Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2010

The busy, bustling atmosphere of what may have been a rather plain tavern in the "old days", makes this restaurant a "must go" for us. It's tidy, clean, well decorated with local artwork and photographs, and the local food - being in the village which is known as the "first polish settlement in Ontario" is delightful!

Reviewed October 3, 2010

In this day when the Ontario government is doing everything possible to discourage having fun and/or operating a rural hotel, it is such a treat to have the Wilno Tavern still operating. The staff and management are friendly and welcoming and the ambiance is always warm. Some previous reviewers seem to find fault with the speed of service, but if you are in such a big hurry, maybe the drive-through window at the Pembroke or Bancroft McDonalds is more your speed. On many nights there is an all you can eat buffet, which with a little foresight can be the answer if you are afraid you might not get enough food quickly enough. Personally I have never left hungry when ordering off the menu, and normally only have time to enjoy one drink before the food is on the table. I guess this a good thing since anything more than one drink every two hours or so seems to brand one as a criminal these days. I should also add that this is one of the few remaining places you can regularly catch live music these days. For those too young to remember, this is where the source of the music doesn't come from a computer or TV screen! Oh, and did I mention dancing? Long live the country hotels and thank you Wilno Tavern

1  Thank Gwen M
Reviewed March 23, 2010

My friends and I went to the Wilno Tavern a few times last summer, as we lived nearby. We went later at night when the band played. I was the designated driver, and when the owner ( i believe ) decided to kick one of our group members out, she took it out on me. I can understand the legalities of making someone leave if they've had too much to drink, but to then take it out on the designated driver?! She was extremely rude and VERY condescending!! This experience has put me off of going back there.

9  Thank bitterincanada
Reviewed July 16, 2009

The pace of life in the remote village of Wilno is slow. That may be why some people like to visit. However, if you are merely passing through Wilno on your way to somewhere else, don't be tempted to stop at the Wilno Tavern unless you have several hours to kill. The service here is slow, slow, slow. It was a full hour before the soup arrived. My lunch arrived twenty minutes before that of one of my lunch companions. By the time we had finished, two hours had elapsed.

The food is unexceptional and certainly not worth the wait. Portions are small and unsatisfying. I opted for the Polish platter, which contained two lukewarm perogies, one flaccid cabbage roll and a steamed Polish sausage. These items were served with a single slice of half-frozen rye bread. Polish food is supposed to be much heartier than this. Another surprise was the price: $12 for this pathetic entree. One can reasonably expect much more than this, particularly in a small town establishment.

6  Thank Pethead72
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stopped by on a Sunday afternoon and had a wonderful Polish buffett.