“Neighbourhood Pub. That's All.”

Orwell's Restaurant
Ranked #2,204 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighborhood: Etobicoke
Neighborhood: Etobicoke
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is probably a fun neighbourhood pub. Looks like they have an active darts league and a weekend brunch crowd. But for a weekday lunch, you can do much better on this strip of Bloor Street.

The pub itself is cramped, worn and dark. The booths are tiny and most of the other table are high-tops. Definitely not a place you can settle in for the evening.

The menu is pretty typical pub fare. We tried the fresh fish and chips and were disappointed. The fish tasted old, the batter was too thick and the coleslaw was a gloppy sweet disaster. The fries were ok.

Service is friendly and quick.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Orwell's Restaurant has some work to do to improve it's ratings. I was mightily disappointed with it's service, it was slow, terribly slow! For an order of ten chicken wings, it took 20 minutes. That's rough, especially since there were only twenty patrons in the place. The hot weather and the lack of air conditioning made for an uncomfortable wait. The decor was straight out the early 80's and could use some updating. The food, surprisingly, was pretty good despite my hesitations above. Having your typical pub fare menu, Orwell's does not offer anything out of the ordinary. If Orwell's could get past 1984, get some updated decor and air conditioning with quicker service, and not so blurry TV's, then it would be easy to up it's ratings!

1  Thank tdsuperstar
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My fiance, friend and I went there for dinner last Thursday night. My fiance and I split a piece of chocolate cake - and we were both violently ill the entire night and are still overcoming it. I called Friday morning to advise the staff. Whoever answered the phone didn't seem to speak English very well, so I am not even sure if they understood me? STAY AWAY FROM THEIR DESSERTS! We are still contemplating going to the hospital it was that bad! Needless to say we will NEVER return there, and it is too bad, because it is in our neighborhood and initially, we thought their food and service wasn't bad.

Reviewed July 31, 2010

In a good location, pretty much right at the corner of Bloor & Islington, right across from a TTC bus terminal. (Don't drink & drive!)

The service was fast and friendly and the food and drinks were moderately priced. Lots of different beers (23, I think our server said) on-tap. Typical pub menu. A small, outdoor patio with umbrellas, right on Bloor St. Indoor and outdoor dining.

A more mature crowd: 30's+. TV's with showing sports above the bar. Not a big place, but everyone (staff and guests) had smiles on their faces and I had no complaints. Very casual atmosphere. It was a good choice for a few relaxed drinks and pub dining on a Friday night in Toronto.