“Absolutely LOVE their cake!!”
Review of Gerhard's Cafe

Gerhard's Cafe
Ranked #2,680 of 10,299 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighborhood: Scarborough
Neighborhood: Scarborough
Reviewed June 15, 2018 via mobile

Gerhard's Café - a little cozy European style cafe in Scarborough. Absolutely LOVE their cake!! I had the orange truffle, creamy but light and tasty!! The homemade vegetable soup is simple but super delicious!! Service is very attentive and friendly! Will definitely go back!

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed January 28, 2018

I just picked up a chocolate raspberry mouse cake for our son's birthday. i was in shock when the owner rang my purchase. Normally, for the past 25 years we treat ourselves to their cake for either my husband's birthday and or our children. I noticed that the previous owners, we called them the German ladies started to phase out in the past 5 years or so. The large cake used to be $42.00, medium size around $36 or less and small about $25.00. Lo' and behold, today I purchased a medium size cake and it was $45.95. Then I asked the present owner why or when did the price increased so much. She started telling me about the increase in price of ice berg lettuce at Highland Farm?
Not sure of the connection. But I don't think we will be making our birthday cake trip to Gerhard's 4 times a year now. Will be trying outother bakeries. I hope the cake still taste good. In addition, in the past when you go jsut before closing, they normally have the sliced cake half price at $1.75 NOT NOW. So that means they keep them over night and serve them again as "fresh" the next day at $5.95 and the slice is not HALF of what it used to be. Oh well,.....

Date of visit: January 2018
2  Thank chocolateaddict2015
Reviewed July 20, 2017

When looking for a Black Forest cake for a friend's birthday, I Googled 'best in Toronto area' and Gerhard's was a top choice. It was ordered on a Friday for pickup the following Tuesday.

In addition to the Black Forest cake, I picked up an additional lemon with butter-cream frosted cake for some afternoon guests.

That afternoon, we served the lemon cake and though the whipped cream frosting was nice, we found the cake to be a bit dry and lacking in flavour.

The same evening, we ate some of the Black Forest cake at our friends home. I think we were all disappointed. It really didn't taste any different from a run-of-the-mill BF cake you could get at the grocery store. The icing was whipped cream and light but the rest of the cake unremarkable and distinctly dry. The maraschino cherries on top were chewy and likely straight out of a jar. The kirsch filling was sparse. The height of the cake was not as deep as I remember other Black Forest cakes to be.

I can't say the 30 minute drive or the $28 cost for a 6" cake was justified and will try another patisserie next time. There may have been a time when Gerhard's was the place to go for European cakes and tortes but I found it average at best. I would not recommend it for the Black Forest cake.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed November 15, 2015 via mobile

Excellent light lunches..sandwiches, salad, quiche and soups. they take care with presentation to make sure your lunch looks as good as it tastes.

excellent German-style pastries, cakes and cookies.

friendly, attentive service.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed June 10, 2015

So delicious! Authentic European pastries here in the east end. We stop in for coffee and cake after a morning of shopping. The atmosphere reminds us of our trips to Europe. Call ahead for beautiful cakes to celebrate your special occasions. Go and enjoy!

Date of visit: April 2015