“can"t hear myself think” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Seafood, British, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Toronto,
“can"t hear myself think”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Music blasting to a point where I couldn't hear the server. Perhaps this because they were rude and abrupt. Have not returned since.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank canada47Toronto_

Colden, New York
“Best Fish 'n Chips in Eons!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Business takes me to Toronto and the surrounds from time to time. I was on Queen Street West, across from a park, and decided to wander in.

I really liked the ambiance, if a fish and chips joint can have such a thing. It just seemed perfect.

Whoever had a horrible experience must have gone there on someone's off day. The service was superb and the eats sublime.

I had a combo with a piece of halibut, prawns, and scallops. The scallops were terrific, and I would definitely get them again. The fish was superb. And the dipping sauces! WOW! My favorite was, let me see if I got this right, "pemato"? (It was a combination of pepper and tomato.) And there were enough chips to feed more than this guy.

It is a great find in a cool area of town.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Montreal, Canada
“went for the halibut”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

the friendly wait staff, she was alone on a busy sunday lunch, was helpful and efficient. however, the fish was cut way too thin and was dry in the middle, as a consequence. the batter was also thin and went tough when it cooled. we like thick juicy fillets of white fish in a crispy batter. the chips were dry in the middle. maybe this is just sunday lunch? they were not frozen fries. yeah!! it is better than some of the greasy frozen junk one gets in some places. their heart is in the right place. however, they are cutting dangerous corners by slicing the fillets into paper thin pieces. too bad. nice atmosphere.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Insulted & ripped off.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Well, I can officially say that the best fish & chips place remains to be Old York at Laird & Eglinton. Though Chippys got me in there by their famous traditional visuals from waaay back in the day, I was insulted by their prices, first of all. They charge a whopping $15 bux for ONE Halibut. & like one of the reviewers mentioned, (I'll read the rest of the reviews later), They up the price & decreased the damn portion. They made it flat so it looks like it was a big portion but it was barely 1/2 inch thin... (I'll give you a moment to gasp). Exactly! That's how I felt insulted by their audacity to charge so much & think we're stupid enough to believe we'll be back for more money in the can. Then I asked for tartar sauce... Oh wait! I have to buy the supposed tartar sauce! WoOoOoW. .95 cents for some tartar sauce. Excuse my ignorance but last time I checked tartar sauce is supposed to taste somewhat TART & INCLUDED!!! It was mayonnaise! Needless to say, I will make the trip to Laird next time. They don't charge you for the real tartar sauce. Lost my money here. I hope these guys read this & maybe they'll get their act together.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dizzivivi
London, Canada
“Authentic and delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Visited this tiny little spot searching out some of Toronto's best fish & chips. Not disappointed at all, loved the take out option & quality was amazing. Not to be missed!

Visited August 2012