“Yummy!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: 416 217-2008
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I discovered this place thanks to my Chinese colleague who told me it was a great place to eat. She was right! Mother's Dumplings is pretty cheap if you go with a bunch of people (you can eat a lot of dumplings for like 7 bucks) The service is not great but the dumplings are delicious. You can also eat chinese food if you are not fond of dumplings.

There are newer reviews for Mother's Dumplings

Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is my favorite place for dumplings! The menu offers a variety of Chinese treats which I have never seen anywhere else! From the pork and shrimp dumplings to the desserts, they have a unique menu and affordable prices! Each time I visit Toronto I always eat here 2-3 times during my stay! A glass panel on the counter let's you see the emloyees preparing the dumplings fresh for the day. It's nice to watch teamwork in action! Meals are served with hot tea "on the house" and the service is focused on making your meal a pleasant experience so don't hesitate to ask for a fork instead of using the chopsticks many people use correctly except me, lol! On one ocassion I really liked the disposition of an adult man behind the counter (manager?) preparing some fresh mango puddings for us when they were out of that dessert that day! That's what I call commitment to qualty and service! For this and other reasons we'll always come back to this restaurant when visiting Toronto!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We got the pork and dill steamed dumplings to go.. I had never had chinese dumplings before and I thought these were delicious! The restaurant is very nice and the staff was friendly.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

We (my Taiwanese wife and her family) went here specifically for the Dumplings and they definetely measure up to my Mother-in-law's cooking. We had shrimp potstickers, broiled pork dumplings, 4 steamed meat buns and two double orders of the shrimp and chive steamed dumplings. Very delicous and the best restaurant dumplings that I ever had. Everything - including the dogh - is made from scratch on premise. The staff was friendly and the place very clean. A definite recommendation from me!

Beware, only cash and DEBIT cards accepted. Prices are reasonable for the quality of the food.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

On Spadina, just north of the main Chinatown strip in Toronto is a terrific dumpling house. Mother's Dumplings makes everything in house and the dumpling makers work behind glass so you can watch them roll, stuff and pinch. The staff are very jolly and the atmosphere is a little more friendly than one often finds in Toronto's Chinatown. Try the beef with celery. It sounds a bit strange but is very flavourful. Also try a side order of the cabbage salad or smashed cucumber salad and the latter is great on a hot day. Yummy. Though it is Korean not Chinese the Kimchi here is excellent. The "pancakes", more like egg sushi, are terrific too.
I have eaten here twice but my daughter has been many more times. Sometimes the service is quick and sometimes quite slow. If you go at peak times and are hungry order a side dish right away to tide you over.