“Bombs Away - Explosive Tastes Right Thru to the Bombolini!”
Review of Tavolino

Tavolino
Order Online
Ranked #923 of 10,201 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighborhood: Old Toronto
Neighborhood: Old Toronto
Reviewed August 12, 2018

Last things first - the dessert of hot homemade doughnuts - Bombolini - filled with lemon cream, chocolate cream and raspberry cream was outstanding. Leading up to that were excellent appetizers: Kale Beet with goat cheese, pistachios, pickled red onion; freshly steamed mussels in a white wine, garlic and tomato sauce. Mains: tender striped sea bass in lemon-caper sauce on a bed of melt-in-the mouth risotto; grilled veal and avocado scallopini, shoe-string frites and rapini. The meal was complemented by a Californian chardonnay which was very good.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed June 29, 2018

Well where do we start, from the out side we read the menu looked OK and on line made a reservation (which we really didn't need).
The staff are so-so my wife and I had a drink (way too strong) caesar salad to start which had a lot of yellow lettuce and was not great (missing the croutons and lemon) the special (we both had it because it sounded good) was a lobster tail on a bead of noodles in oil and tomatoes with shrimp (4) the lobster tail was over done and dry and would have been better with some drawn butter...just saying

We didn't want desert either did the table beside us.
The cost was 136.73 before tip too much $$$$$$$ for what you get but you live and learn.
Between 1 and 10 I would rate this place a 3 only.
We just returned recently from a Florida 3 month stay and lots of restaurants so I can safely say we know what we are talking about.
It was a disappointment.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed June 23, 2018 via mobile

Our dinner at Tavolino was absolutely delicious! Highly recommend it - everything was superb! We have added Tanolino to our list of favourites local restaurants. Nu tar one of the best we’ve been to on a while.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Ransom5000
Reviewed March 22, 2018

Our friends, my wife and I were treated with great service and great food last night at Tavolinos. We purchased a Travelzoo voucher before reading the less than complimentary reviews about this restaurant. With great trepidation, we made reservations and were treated well beyond our expectations The owner politely explained the rules of the voucher when we were presented with the menu. There was ample choice and the service was prompt, efficient and gracious. Thanks for a great evening and we will return.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed March 10, 2018

I hesitated writing this review for a long time because our friends have frequently visited and loved this place for a while but I decided to share our experience because it was a disturbing one. First time my wife and I went there was early December 2017. The woman serving us was a bit gruff and rather nonchalant: we had ordered the grilled calamari but she brought us the fried one. When we pointed that out, no apology nor an offer to change it: instead we got a sales pitch about how much what we were served was better than what we had ordered!
Our friends suggested we consider going back to Tavolino for New Year's Eve. We collectively inquired about the menu and the prices for New Year's Eve and we were told the menu and the prices would be the same as always. So we reserved. When we got there on December 31, we were presented with a menu which had a limited number of items from the regular menu but at prices about 30 to 40% higher!. Clearly inconsistent with what we were told in early December! I asked for the wine list and selected a half liter carafe of one of the house wines. When the time came for the bill, we were told that the computer was down and that it would be a couple of minutes. My bill had two errors. First, the wine was charged at 50% more than what I had seen it at on the wine list. When I asked to see the wine list again, I was shown one that had the higher price. I did not pursue it. I figured that they had typed up a wine list for New Year's Eve with the higher prices but when I was making my selection they had shown me the regular version by mistake. Second, one of the main courses was charged at a higher price than listed in the special menu. My guess is that the computer was not programmed for the New Year's Eve prices, therefore the bills had to be hand generated and hence the errors. My bill was not the only one with such an issue.
I understand that New Year's Eve is a special time prompting different practices in many restaurants. Many places advertise special menus, and pricing is normally at a higher level. No issue with that as long as the customer is making an informed decision. To be told one thing in early December to lure us in and then to be presented with something different when we get there on New Year's Eve is totally unacceptable. We were thoroughly deceived and found the experience of being subjected to improper business practices to be very disturbing. Needless to say, we are not going back.

Date of visit: December 2017