“Poor Waitress but Decent Food...wouldn't go back”

Olde Towne Bistro & Oyster Bar
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Leader Ln.
Transit: King Street station on the ttc yonge street line
Description: Lucien Restaurant is located in the historic Olde Town Toronto neighbourhood of the St.Lawrence Market, right on the edge of the Financial district. Come and enjoy our local, organic and artisinal cuisne in a beautiful setting. Chef Etienne Lemieux presents an ever changing seasonal menu featuring modern takes on classical dishes. A series of local farmers deliver everything from duck to beef, pork and deer right to our back door. Excellent fish selections are available as well and we roll a diiferent home-made pasta selection every day. Close to local theatres - the Sony and Hummingbird Centres - and a short walk to the Air Canada Centre, Lucien is a great place for a pre-game or theatre meal. A wonderful 50 seat intimate restaurant with a great 15 seat cozy bar featuring fresh oysters. Or book our semi private room for your next private function or corporate event!
Reviewed June 9, 2012

My finance and I decided to have a night on-the-town yesterday [ Friday, June 8 ]. We booked a room at the Hyatt Regency next to the TIFF on King St and, set up a reservation at Lucien, hoping for a real nice, late dinner.
Upon arriving at Lucien, we were quickly seated by a nice, white shirted gentleman to a great table; but after that, the service went "south" quickly.
Our waitress was rushed, pushy to the point of arrogant and kept forgetting to bring our drink orders..."oh!...I forgot your drinks again" was indicative of her efforts.
The asparagus appetizer was ok and my main dish was the Beef; tasty and lots of it but it could
have easily supported a bigger side dish. My fiance had the Pork and found it tasty as well and it was a good-sized portion.
In all, the food was good, but nothing to get excited about and share back-and-forth.

2  Thank BobZillah

Reviewed June 6, 2012

the atmosphere is well worth eating here…the salmon a must second night a bit over cooked but the flavor delicious ..the chocolate dessert pass on and get the tiramisu...

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I'm puzzled by the strength and length of the invective in a couple of the recent comments here. The dining space at Lucien is attractive and distinctive, and the size and distribution of the tables (and sound levels) allow for easy communication with one's dining companion. The staff are amiable and helpful -- the main person we dealt with seemed to be the manager, who, having sat us in a table by the window registered that the air conditioning vent above us was doing its work rather too energetically and offered to turn it down lest we were sitting in a draught. The food was excellent. I started with a very nice lobster bisque and then my wife and I both had the halibut, which was delicious. There was a good wine-list, not extortionately priced. We shared a very good tiramisu for dessert. The bill total before tip was about $150 -- not cheap, but not out of line for the quality of food, service, and atmosphere. I would certainly go back again -- this was a restaurant and staff that knew what they were doing, and did it efficiently and courteously. Incidentally, the servings weren't "small" -- as one of the recent complainers claims; they were the size that most people expect in a restaurant of this kind (if you want an all-you-can-eat buffet or king-size helpings of meat and stodge, you probably aren't going to be dining here in the first place, and you certainly don't need the very good chef that Lucien clearly has). My only very minor reservation (which would apply to many restaurants in a comparable price range) is the charging ($2) for bread. I don't know why restaurants do this -- but then I don't know why they charge for coffee either -- given that if two people are prepared to pay $150-200 for a meal, it seems pointlessly cheeseparing for serious restaurants to be charging a couple of bucks for these minor accessories to a decent dining experience. But if all my complaints about restaurants could be that trivial, I'd be a much happier diner-out. I think Lucien more than warrants the reputation it has for being among Toronto's better restaurants. I understand it also opens for lunch, and if I had business in the area I certainly wouldn't hesitate to have a business lunch there.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Fantastic meal at Lucien the other night. Great service. A great wine. And the best rib eye I've ever had. Best steak I've ever had! The rest of the meal was near perfect. Oysters so good we ordered a second plate. All-in-all a very memorable meal. I'm still telling my wife every few hours (three days later) what a great meal that was. Not cheap but well worth it.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

All our choice were good, A variety of plates - fish and meat were served tasting excellent.
The glass of wine though.. is about half a glass....
Bottom line, French cuisine at it's best, on the expensive side.