“JUST OK BUT NOTHING SPECIAL”

Woodbine Hotel & Suites
Ranked #104 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
London, Canada
“JUST OK BUT NOTHING SPECIAL”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

After years of driving past this location, my wife and spent one night there when my wife was flying out of Toronto for a visit to family. The Woodbine Hotel was a large property with a fair location, reasonably close to Pearson Airport. The hotel is in the process of being renovated and our room was fine although it still showed major signs of wear and tear.... carpet stains and worn finishing. The only thing that bothered of was mold and some hair (not ours) around the bathtub which is a sure sign of shoddy housekeeping standards.

The hotel has no dining facilities however they are several restaurants within close driving distance. They did offer a complimentary breakfast however the hot items were cold by the time I got to eat them. It would help if they used heaters under the serving dishes. The fruit serving was a little strange and did not include full apples, oranges or bananas.

We have stayed at a large number of hotels around Pearson Airport over the years. While there were no major shortcomings, the Woodbine Hotel is not one which we would go back to. While the service was fine, it and the hotel are nothing special for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

The trip was a two night stay for a concert and shopping. We arrived at the hotel a couple hours early to check-in time. The lady at the front desk however was able to get us a room early if we could wait 10 minutes. We went out for food and groceries and came back about an hour later. Upon arrival to our room the maid was eating in the room. They than switched us to the room beside it. We started to relax and were going to nap before the concert. Upon unfolding the pillow my girlfriend found blood stains on the pillow. She went down complained and we got bumped into a sweet. We did a quick once over of the pillows and bed and everything seemed fine. We watched TV for a little and were going to take a nap. As soon as we moved the sheet between the comforter and the duvet (3 different sheets on the bed I guess is why we didn't notice) there was blood on the duvet. I went to the front desk and quickly asked for a refund. The manager looked at the sheet and could not confirm or deny it was blood. The one good thing was that the refund was not a fuss and muss. It seemed like they were used to it. Overall it was a horrible experience but we stayed somewhere else and made the best of the weekend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GRayHn
Prior Lake, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I made reservations specifically asking for a smoking room & I was told NO problem when
I got to my room it was NON smoking so I called the front desk & I was told the hotel has
NEVER had smoking rooms, I'AM a disabled person & my room was on the top floor so it was
a hassle to be able to smoke.
Also I was one of the 1st in line for breakfast & the coffee was COLD

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dale g
Sudbury, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Be careful, if youre a seasond traveller, the saying "you get what you pay for" was written about this place. Cheap for a reason, please spend the extra $20 for a decent hotel.
we stayed three nights (booked through expedia), the worst hotel stay ever had. the rooms and decore take you back to the 80's, the beds are of that vintage as well. First night we had this awfull inside view room, very hot, a portable AC unit was in the room, this made it even hotter. No sleep that night as the hotel staff can verify as I walked around. Junior staff very helpfull (best thing about the place) I complained about the room through the night and again in the morning. I asked for an upgrade as I had two more nights to go and had already had one sleepless.
Senior staff abruptly turned that down, I settled for another room at least it had AC. Still the same old 20 year bed and decore but the AC worked. Breakfast really poor, covered in ripped tin foil, much better to eat out, everything done cheap.
In the morning of our early flight departure, came down to the vehicle and found that it had been broken into, (bewware this hotel is IN A BAD AREA). the thieves had failed in staeling the entire vehicle and contents so had to settle for its contents..they removed everything they could, electronics, suitcases, camara, GPS, chargers, clothes, small appliances...anything they could. We had no time to report to the police but did to the hotel. Again the Juniour staff had some compassion but had to call the Manager again that was a waste of time. Thinking that the Manager might call and report the incident to the police and do a little investigation of his own we returned back to the hotel after the two week vacation (NO NOT TO STAY) we thought that maybe something happend but NO not even a call to home. Dont stay here, spend the extra few $$$$, get a better hotel, safe surroundings and peace of mind....you have been warned!

Room Tip: Get a room in another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanover, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights for a wedding. Check in was quick and simple. Hotel was old but still nice. We walked to our room and opened the door and the room was a complete disaster! There was toilet paper everywhere and room was destroyed. We went back to desk and the man was very apologetic and explained that housekeeping must have missed the room because on his screen it said it was clean. We were sent to a different room but this time the keys didn't work so back down we went again. Finally, we were able to get into our room and it was decent. It was fairly roomy and clean which was nice. I did however notice that the main light in our room was out which made it very difficult to see much without turning all the little ones on. The first night we had a good sleep but the second night was a disaster. There was something going on in the hall and there were people below our room outside who were yelling all night long. Also, before I booked, I was assured that someone on duty ensures that quiet time is enforced. This was not the case. Around 2:30 am, there were a large group of people talking and yelling outside our door. I asked them to stop once and they told me off. Tried calling desk with no answer. I was up because of those idiots for 2 hours. I was definitely not impressed. The breakfast was one of the worse I have had. They had eggs and sausage but they tasted cold and disgusting. I basically ate one piece of toast. There was also no coffee made when were there so we ended up going to Tim Horton's. I think this hotel has great potential but things need to be changed for sure.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elyseyy
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here with three other couples for a weekend at the Woodbine Race Track, across the street. The area is convienent to the racetrack, but you do need to drive.... not a walking distance. There is also not much else around this hotel, so once you are in for the night, not much to do. Many of the rooms have windows that open to a hall, rather than the pitside, which makes it feel kind of cramped, and a lack of privacy. The room itself was rather small and not equipped well. The free breakfast is really spartan, and we opted to go out to a restaurant. All and all, an OK selection for a night or two if you just want to get some rest at a cheal price, but if you like a little luxury or a place with food or a bar for a nightcap, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Look for a room with a window that looks to the outside. Preferably on the upper floors
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I've been here for 1 night. The rooms are bigs and everything was very clean.
Strengths: price, size of the room, free parking, free breakfast, no noise and near the airport.
Weaknesses: the pillows are too small, from the room windows we see the breakfast room(little bit weird but ok).

• Stayed June 2013