“Dealfind....not so much!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #104 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
ontario
“Dealfind....not so much!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I would avoid this hotel at all costs. We booked for the two night stay. The first night, we were in a room that when I opened the curtains for the view, my "view" was a banquet room. That evenings "entertainment" was a wedding reception. When I opened curtains the wedding party looked at me like I was invading their privacy....hell, I was just opening my curtains upon initial arrival to my room. To top this off, they had a professional photographer, complete with all the flash, taking pictures until well after midnight....it was like a lightning storm in my room. We called front desk to complain and were told "Oh, they'll only be a little while longer". No appology, no "We'll see if we can get another room for you", no customer service. The second night, we asked to be moved and paid extra for another room. That evening, the fire alarm went off every few minutes for a 20-30 minute period of time. No information was forthcoming from hotel staff at all as to what was going on. We went to front desk to see what the issue was and there was their staff trying to shut off the alarm. They did this time and time again. I never saw the Fire Department arrive....kinda strange way to handle a fire alarm situation if you ask me. Overall, a rather unpleasant trip. Sometimes cheap just isn't worth it. Sometimes cheap, is just too expensive!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you DEMAND a room with exterior windows that actually look outside not into another part o...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 4everaway
Dave M, Manager at Woodbine Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hello reviewer,

We do appreciate all reviews, negative or positive towards our hotel.
I’m glad that you have brought this issue to my attention, and we have already made changes and improvements. Everyday we strive to improve all services, and service departments. To guarantee all guests will have a great experience with Woodbine Hotel and Suites.

Dave M
Woodbine Hotel and Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Guest beware. I booked this hotel through Expedia. When I arrived at the hotel, they ran my credit card for incidentals. When I was checking out the front desk, said I had a $ 0 balance and verified it had been paid through Expedia. Well they did run my credit card in September and again yesterday 10/12/12. So far, I have paid over 1,243.36 on this room. $ 750.00 of it is unauthorized. My credit card company tried twice today to conference call the manager. He wasn't there on the first attempt so we called back and they said he was in a meeting and would call us back. We tried again after 3 hours and he was gone for the day. We were told to call back tomorrow. I paid for this room 3 times, no call back and no Manager on Duty? What hotel doesn't have a Manager on Duty and when he is on duty only there for 3 hours? Sketchy. I have canceled my credit card. What a hassle right?

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Lauraw32423
Dave M, Manager at Woodbine Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Hello review,

I do appreciate reviewers content, weather it’s positive or negative. Our hotel is always striving to become better in all fields of our consumers. However I don’t appreciate reviewer’s content, that is neither positive nor negative reinforcement, but however a completely false, inaccurate and fallacious attempt to misguide and mislead viewers images of this establishment. Usually I would never response to reviewers in such a tone. But what you were attempting is morally incorrect, I have submitting a complaint to trip advisor’s head office about your review.
For issues you encounter at Woodbine Hotel, we’re truly sorry, and with this we’ll always continue to achieve better service for our guests. So in short, I really hope in the future you don’t mislead others without having all the proper facts and information.

Dave Miller
Woodbine Hotel and Suites
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

This hotel offered us a very good rate, nice and clean room, the hotel itself is very beatiful! Free wireless, business center and breakfast. Totally were happy with our stay. Quite location, had a good sleep, but a little hard matrasses.

• Stayed October 2012
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Trip Advisor reviewers, you mislead me! You all gave this a "very good" rating; no way. I am so disappointed with the quality of this hotel. The hotel feels and looks old, worn and dated. I will list the multitude of things that are wrong with my room: the sheets are very thin (120 thread count at best), the furniture is chipped, there are stains on the carpet, a cob wed is in the corner by the door, no safety latch on the door, and stains on the wallpaper. Also, the hotel hallways have no placards on the walls to indicate the direction of hotel rooms. Unfortunately, this hotel was booked / prepaid for on hotwire so I am stuck in this hotel for the next few days. The avg rate per was for us was $100. It's worth $50.00 / night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank anointedhelp
London, Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is a tricky one. Let me start with the positives:
- Free local calls
- Free parking
- Close to airport and about a 45min drive to central Toronto
- Free, open wifi internet in the rooms which works well
- The rooms are reasonably modern and provided for
- Front Desk staff polite and pleasant

Downsides
- Walls are paper thin
- Toilet seats cheap as chips
- Breakfast massive disappointment (plastic cutlery! paper plates!)
- King bedrooms face some sort of interior courtyard
- Feels like a motel

I think if you are just looking for something near the airport and reasonably comfortable this will do the job. It's nothing special and not the sort of hotel I'd ordinarily stay in but my mother arranged it for me thanks to a groupon-type offer and for this particular trip it was fit for purpose.

Room Tip: Go for a double, not a king
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank alexsw1
Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I payed up front for two nights but only made it for the second one, due to delay elsewhere. I did note the hotel on this upfront, but when arrived they gave me a room with someones breakfast still on the table and beds not done (16:00). After noting this they game me a room with a single bed, while I paid for 2x double.

I asked for public transportation way downtown and they printed the directions to me. I asked if the way back was the same, they confirmed. But the bus back took me somewhere totally elsewhere (bus 37), the drives noted that I should have took the another bus (37a).

Otherwise:
- no bar in hotel
- plastic fork and plate for breakfast
- paper cups for breakfast
- 15 CAD shuttle to Airport
- no pool
- no restaurant

+ free WiFi
+ close to Pearson Int. (but far from downtown)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel was very nice. The room with a king bed was big, nicely decorated and very modern and clean. Beautiful bathroom with marble counter top. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a free breakfast included, though it was very limited: toast, scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, and cereal. The strange thing was that our room window did not lead outside, it over looked the banquet room, which was used for events at night, and where we ate breakfast in the morning. This was weird, we couldn't open out curtains or we'd have people seeing us in our room. The location is alright. Close to the highway, 25 mins from Wonderland, 30 mins from downtown. The hotel is small, only 2 floors. It was noisy in the morning though, with kids running in and out of their rooms and the vacuum going in the hallway. Overall, we liked it and would stay again if the price is right.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple