“Fun and unusual idea!”

Ruby Watchco
Ranked #245 of 8,432 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: East End
Ottawa, Canada
“Fun and unusual idea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Very reasonable price considering the food is cooked by 2 celebrity chefs who are usually in attendance in person, not just in name!
1 menu for the whole restaurant, served "family style". More than enough food for sure!
Wines are reasonably priced. Loved it!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Lindaw143

Toronto
“Perfect....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I celebrated my birthday at Ruby Watchco last night.

Chef Lynn Crawford was in the restaurant working her tail off - cooking, clearing plates, bringing desserts to tables, lugging boxes, chatting with the patrons - it was very cool to see her at work.

The food was absolutely amazing, as were the cocktails and wine pairings. The menu at Ruby changes every night, and they always use the freshest seasonal ingredients. Last night's menu started with an excellent fresh salad with pancetta, along with fresh biscuits and hommade butter. For the main, we had brick chicken with a peach bbq sauce, served with 10 yr aged cheddar mac & cheese, grilled broccoli, and sweet corn with bacon. There was also an amazing grilled shrimp cocktail, a cheese course and a fresh berry tart for dessert. Everything was spectacular!

This was probably the best meal I've ever had in my life.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank tadak
Toronto, Canada
“Consistently superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We are lucky enough to live within walking distance of Ruby Watchco. Since it opened, we have eaten there easily a dozen times, if not more. Every single visit has been fantastic. I'm not really a salad guy, but the salads here are imaginative and delicious, with just the right number and blend of ingredients. And they are always accompanied by Chef Lora Kirk's unbeatable cheddar biscuits (Psst...you can ask for seconds). We have enjoyed every main we have been served, fish, fowl or red meat. Between dinner and dessert, a cheese course usually features something delicious from a local Ontario cheesemaker accompanied by just the right preserve. Then there's the dessert. Always right. Always fresh. Always incredible. Don't worry about what's on the menu. It's always good (and they will modify the courses to accommodate dietary restrictions). Go with the suggested wines, too. Svetlana (she who chooses the wines) has never led us astray. Service? Impeccable. A great restaurant for any occasion.

Oakville, Canada
“Absolutely Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our experience at Ruby Watchco was perfect! The service was very good with fun wait staff that make an effort to make sure you are having a wonderful meal. Every bite of our several dishes were prepared perfectly. I guess that's what happens when great ingredients are used in a 5 star Chef's Kitchen. That being said this restaurant is not pretentious & at times you feel like you are at a good old fashion East Coast Kitchen Party with really fun hosts. The restaurant had an eclectic mix of people who also appeared to be having a lot of fun.

The portions are quite large, & we had enough to take home for a light lunch the next day. I had a Red Derby Cocktail & instantly decided I should not have volunteered to be the designated driver. This drink is Amazing!!

Parking was easy & free on the street right outside the restaurant.

The only negative thing I would say is that the tables are rather close together so if the plan is to go there to have a private conversation or business dinner it may not be so private.

Sadly Chef Lynn & Chef Lora were not there that night as they were filming but the team in the kitchen are well trained & can keep the ship afloat when the Captain is away.

I am already planning our next trip & have invited several foodie friends to join us .

• Visited July 2013
“Outstanding Food, Phenomenal Energy, a Palette Pleaser !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife, two kids and I are big fans of Lynn Crawfords "Pitchin In", so my wife pleaded for us to go to Ruby Watchco (Lynn's Toronto restaurant) on Queen East of Broadview. The only way to make reservations is to speak with someone live .. we left a message, they got back to us, we got in.... and we're really glad that we did !!

There were 4 of us (including a 10 yr old and 11 1/2 year old) and we opted for the only section on the menu - hahaha :o) The salad that was served was the absolute freshest salad we'd ever tasted, crisp, cold and delicious. The rainbow trout that was our main course was simply phenomenal, nicely portioned and perfectly cooked and seasoned. The vegetables were fresh steamed greens, as well as a bowl of a bean medley including lentils - healthy AND tasty !! The cheese plate was served with pickled gooseberry and honey (the combination made our tastebuds dance with joy), and the dessert was a magnificent strawberry tart with fresh cream cheese spread. Please forgive me that I can't remember all of the formal names and all of the dishes that were served, but the meal had our whole family in love with the experience that was "dinner". Top it off with a fun waiter (Marty, whom I renamed Gianni :o)) and there's only one thing that could have made the evening better. Yes - you guessed it ...

Lynn Crawford came into the restaurant and plated some of the meals, while overseeing much of the kitchen activity. She wasn't too busy to take time to chat with us (a highlight for my wife and boys), kindly sign her recipe book and allow a few pictures with our clan of 4. What a fantastic and sociable lady, with a phenomenal talent for making my palette come alive. The only down side of the evening is that we will now continue to strive to find restaurant experiences of equal caliber - and now that so few exist.

If you're able to afford it, try the wine pairings with each course. Yes, our evening turned out to be quite expensive when all was said and done. But don't you deserve it ?? We do, We did, We will again :o)

Thank you Lynn, thank you Marty, Thank-you Ruby Watchco. We were in from Calgary and will be certain to make this a regular stop on any future visits to Toronto.

2 Thank Lauder_Calgary