“Overpriced and unimpressive food” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ruby Watchco
Ranked #252 of 8,404 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: East End
Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced and unimpressive food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

A poor experience. The food is clearly cooked to a cheap price point and is no better than what one could cook at home. Although for $49 it might be ok, there is nothing to recommend it. Drinks are overpriced. Service is adequate. This is another example of a 'scene' place in Toronto. When one spends $250 there is an expectation of at least thinking it was a good evening. Add to this the attitude of the staff and chef and it makes for an avoid at all costs.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank TODiner999

Stirling, Canada
“Great concept”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Everyone eats the same and the seatings are staggered so you get great service. Last night was a riff on the BLT with ling cod, then a wonderful rabbit rillett, followed by grilled flank steak and perfectly cooked, very interesting vegetable, cheese with honey and salted grapes - I asked for the recipe and chef Lynn shared it with enthusiasm . Dessert was a glorious rhubarb and strawberry concoction and they even put a candle in for my husbands birthday which had been mentioned casually to our server. The service was awesome and it almost felt like dining with family. A truly lovely dining experience.

Visited May 2013
Stirling, Canada
“Just wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

So, now we have a new favourite restaurant in Toronto. I met Chef Crawford when she was filming an episode of Pitchin' In in our little town and she encouraged me to come here and try her food. It is wonderful. We had five courses with an optional rabbit terrine, along with the recommended wine pairings. The food was local food, brought to perfection, lovely seasoning, clever combinations. The mixture of food and wind could not have been improved; we picked up some excellent ideas to take home and try for ourselves. The servers are not only efficient, but utterly charming too and Chef Crawford herself not only runs the kitchen, but also serves, clears, cleans tables and generally does a lot of everything. This is a restaurant we shall certainly be returning to when we are in Toronto; a special place indeed. Go there!

Visited May 2013
Toronto
“A unique dining experience... try it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Came here for hubby's birthday. Feel silly writing an excellent review for this restaurant when there are already so many but I do recommend trying this restaurant. Make a reservation and they will also confirm if your group has any food allergies or restrictions because it is a set meal for $49; no menu to select from. The tastes and textures are excellent and the ambiance is lively. No, it's not a great restaurant for kids unless they are well behaved but aren't most super nice restaurants catered more for adult experiences? But there are lots of great farm-to-table dishes and we loved that the staff working there, including big time chefs Crawford and Kirk, all seemed to be having a great time working together. Named after the Ruby Watch Company sign they found... Would definitely go again.

• Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
“awesome experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

My partner took me to Ruby Watchco for my birthday on April 25th. I was thrilled because I had Lynn Crawford's cook book and watch Pitchin' In regularly.

Our reservation was for 8:30 p.m. and, either out of excitement or nervousness of traffic, we left the 'burbs early. We arrived at Ruby Watchco an hour early and were more than happy with sitting at the bar for an hour until our reservation reached. "Not a problem, we can set you immediately" the hosted advised. We were quite happy with this!

The wait staff were incredible and my first question to the was "Is Lynn Crawford here tonight?". She replied with "Yes, and I will make sure she signs your cookbook you have by your side before you leave".

Of course I was flattered and once we had our main course (which was incredible) the waitress approached me and took me to the kitchen to meet Chef Lynn, who was gracious and both signed my book and posed with pics for me.

Yes, I agree you have to hope for a dish you will like, BUT, the food was well prepared, delicious and presentation was incredible. I was also quite impressed with seeing Chef Lynn bussing tables and chatting with guests - very admirable.

I cannot wait to go back again!!!

KB