“A unique dining experience... try it!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ruby Watchco
Ranked #249 of 8,409 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: East End
Toronto
“A unique dining experience... try it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Came here for hubby's birthday. Feel silly writing an excellent review for this restaurant when there are already so many but I do recommend trying this restaurant. Make a reservation and they will also confirm if your group has any food allergies or restrictions because it is a set meal for $49; no menu to select from. The tastes and textures are excellent and the ambiance is lively. No, it's not a great restaurant for kids unless they are well behaved but aren't most super nice restaurants catered more for adult experiences? But there are lots of great farm-to-table dishes and we loved that the staff working there, including big time chefs Crawford and Kirk, all seemed to be having a great time working together. Named after the Ruby Watch Company sign they found... Would definitely go again.

Toronto, Canada
“awesome experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

My partner took me to Ruby Watchco for my birthday on April 25th. I was thrilled because I had Lynn Crawford's cook book and watch Pitchin' In regularly.

Our reservation was for 8:30 p.m. and, either out of excitement or nervousness of traffic, we left the 'burbs early. We arrived at Ruby Watchco an hour early and were more than happy with sitting at the bar for an hour until our reservation reached. "Not a problem, we can set you immediately" the hosted advised. We were quite happy with this!

The wait staff were incredible and my first question to the was "Is Lynn Crawford here tonight?". She replied with "Yes, and I will make sure she signs your cookbook you have by your side before you leave".

Of course I was flattered and once we had our main course (which was incredible) the waitress approached me and took me to the kitchen to meet Chef Lynn, who was gracious and both signed my book and posed with pics for me.

Yes, I agree you have to hope for a dish you will like, BUT, the food was well prepared, delicious and presentation was incredible. I was also quite impressed with seeing Chef Lynn bussing tables and chatting with guests - very admirable.

I cannot wait to go back again!!!

KB

Sechelt, Canada
“Great vibe and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

A friend and I went to this fine establishment last night. The concept is simple everyone eats the same. Last night's meal comprised of a cool version of Salade Nicoise with super yummy panko crusted olives stuffed with tuna... Super delicious. Next was the miso marinated sirloin steak with a ton of tasty sides (roasted cauliflower, mushroom and spinach and smashed yam). A ton of food was served family style. Although the main was good it wasn't as nice as the appetizer. It wasn't bad it was just so so. The artisanal cheese was your basic Oka cheese, yes Oka is great but I was expecting some sort of local Ontario cheese. This was followed by brule'ed orange rice pudding which was awful. I had one bite and couldn't finish it.

This may sound harsh but our dinner experience was still great. The staff were a hoot to interact with. Also what was amazing was to see Lynn Crawford being super hands on. She was all over the place, serving, collecting dishes and being a lovely host to all the diners.

Although I was a but disappointed I would definitely return again to give it another go as i'm sure it was an off night for us.

TIP: As I often travel last minute I can never plan ahead and make reservations. This place is impossible to get a reservation the week of but you can just go and sit at the bar. Being at the bar was really cool actually as it was a total hoot seeing how the staff interacted, they obviously seemed to love their job. Good for them!

2 Thank Joh_Joh_Bean
“Not for kids...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I went here based on other reviewers. I was in Toronto with my brother & his family, we had reservations(a must w this restaurant) my little nephew was cranky so he was crying a lot which the other patrons seemed to be upset about. So we all felt like we where making a scene... The place is small so everyone is in close together. The food was very good! The polenta cakes were a bit greasy but everything else was good. the servers tried there best to accommodate my nephew, but it really was just an uncomfortable time. So in short it is just a place for adults not families...

Toronto, Canada
“Delicious food and delectable wines!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had wonderful evening at Ruby, the set menu with wines was wonderful You eat family style, sides are shared at your table. Choose your night by the menu offered. The waiters are a lot of fun, so friendly. Can't wait to return.

• Visited March 2013