“Fine dining for the hungry”
Review of Ruby Watchco

Ruby Watchco
Ranked #222 of 8,898 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I dropped in for dinner without a reservation and sat at the bar. The food was fantastic as you would expect from Lynn Crawford, but we were surprised at how generous the portions were too. With prix fixes of this calibre you would normally expect smaller portions, which to be honest is fine with me, but every course was quite substantial to the point that it was hard to finish it all.

The food is served in sharing plates. The entre comes with several delicious sides. Sitting at the bar for a couple is a perfectly lovely option. You get plenty of elbow room and the attention of bar tenders, plus you get to sit next to each other as opposed to across a table.

While the menu sounds fancy and tastes spectacular, it's quite accessible so you don't need to be a foodie to love your plate. I had hesitated to bring some family members here because I didn't know if they would find it too esoteric, but I would now confidently recommend it to anyone who likes food.

The restaurant also has great atmosphere. It's a great place for a special occasion with family or for an intimate dinner. The cost is quite reasonable when you take into account how much quality food will come your way.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I came in for our 1st anniversary dinner and were not disappointed. Every part of the meal was great. We had the Grilled Veal with stroganoff sauce and while both of us would not normally order veal, it was delicious. It was like a steak as opposed to the cutlet style. The salad was quite possibly the best salad I have ever eaten. (CARRON FARM’S BEET & ORANGE SALAD- Sleger’s Living Greens, Endives, Shaved Fennel, Garden Radishes, Herb Whipped Goat Cheese, Citrus Dressing)
All other aspects of the meal were also great. Obviously one pays for a meal such as this. The price was not over the top but not cheap either. Chef Lynn was in the house, helping out around the restaraunt and also came over to say hi.. it was all good. Service was also good. We would definitely return for another delectable meal here.

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I've been wanting to try this restaurant for a while now. It definitely lived up to the hype for me. The cheese plate itself was worth the visit. Definitely reasonably priced and since it's one menu price fixe for everyone no worrying about what to order or if you miss out on something. I also love family style serving and find it cute and romantic.

Definitely plan on returning to try another great meal.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

My spouse and I recently hosted a family dinner in the private dining room upstairs at this charming restaurant. It comfortably held 20 adults and 2 small children. We chose our menu in advance from suggestions by the chef who was happy to "tweak" it to suit both one vegetarian and 2 gluten averse guests as well as family members ranging in age from 3 years old to 80. All enjoyed the restaurant's upscale version of seasonal comfort food and the generous portions served family style. We had our own server and bar tender who were unfailingly pleasant and helpful. The atmosphere, the two long harvest tables, the attractive bar, were conducive to mixing and mingling. One small caveat: there is no bathroom on the second level and it is a long hike down a steep flight of stairs and through the crowded restaurant to reach the remarkably small facilities. However, we were warned about this advance by our contact at the restaurant and none of our guests complained. The evening was not inexpensive but we felt it was well worth the cost.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Our first time at Ruby...sad that Lynn wasn't chefing that night but, hey, that's how it is. Service was really good...Marty is very funny albeit a bit too loud at times. The staff seem to enjoy working there and share a great comraderie.
The food was, for the most part, very good. Roasted chicken was the main that night. LOVED the mixed greens salad with apples/radishes/candied pecans and shaved cheese. The scone (?) was a bit on the heavy side but very herby delicious. The Artisanal cheese with the beet chutney was awesome. I'm not much on parsnips but the way they were done...all creamy and thinly sliced, like a parnsip scallop, was very tasty. The red onions didn't really do well on the broccoli confit and it was too soggy for my liking. Garlic mashed were SO tasty, simple and fresh. Of course, the chicken was wonderful although I wasn't too crazy about the flat, dark part of the chicken...I think they may have hammered the crap out of the thighs and roasted them with the chicken. I wasn't too fond of the stout orange cake as it's not to my taste but my partner loved it. I had a nice glass of port after dinner...that was my own personal dessert substitute.
We will definitely be returning again.