“Good, but not great”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West End
Cross street: grenadier Rd.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This place needs some TLC. It has tons of potential but seems to be a little "tired". Good location in Roncessvalles, great crowd inside, but could do with a little more ambience. Maybe a fresh paint job :) to start. Overall it was a nice night, but would I go back? Likely not anytime soon.

1  Thank JoannaFaj

Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Great atmosphere and a superb wine list! The service was good and the food, while the selection is rather limited, was very good!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I got a Groupon coupon to this place and went. We had a dozen oysters, anti-pasta and 2 desserts for 30$ with the coupon. When we arrived we ordered 2 drinks at $10 each.

The service was very slow even though the restaurant was less than half full. It bothered me a lot that they charged $2 for each order of bread. The order of bread consisted of 6 slices of baguette.
Our Oysters arrived very slowly and were just plopped on our table. They were fine, but the presentation was poor.
Much later the anti pasta arrived. This time we got an explanation of the items.
For some reason my wife felt sick and we wanted to leave before dessert.
We were still charged for the dessert even though we did not get it. But I don't mind that too much as it was part of the coupon and we were offered to take some brownies home with us.
What I find unforgivable is that our drinks were suddenly 5$ more expensive than the menu price. I didn't want to argue about this as my wife had already left for the car.

Definitely will never be back.

7  Thank Gastro-travler
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is strictly a watering hole and appetizers and fondue. My two friends and I enjoyed the cheese fondue but the bread pieces in bowls that we requested more off were getting skimpier and skimpier....my goodness it's only bread! Service is average; I really like to see the servers smile and look like they are enjoying the evening of their work....instead you get forced smiles...maybe they are supposed to look cool that way.

1  Thank DonkeyWho
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I bought a groupon for this place because I love oysters. When my boyfriend and I used it on a Wednesday evening, the place was boiling hot, and even on the patio at there was barely any air circulation. The water served was room temperature, which did not really help cool us down. The service was, at best, so-so. We got our dishes (oysters, anti-pesto, and dessert) over the course of about 1.5 hours.

The food was very good, we had no complaints about it. The drinks were fairly expensive - we got 2 drinks for $22.

Despite the mediocre service, we were satisfied with our experience, in that we understand groupon is an outlet for people to try new things. Being our first time here, we even saw they had a deal for oysters from 5-7 each day, and were thinking about coming back to do that sometime.

What really left a "bad taste" in our mouths at the end of the night was when the bill came. They charged us tax on 60, when the groupon was only 29. When we pointed it out, the waiter told us that they always have to charge tax on the full value on any discounted items. We both thought this was complete nonsense. We ended up paying close to 5 dollars extra just in this tax, and it annoyed us both. It was also not stated in the fine print when I bought the groupon, and if it had been stated, then at least I could have considered it. For such a petty thing, they lost 2 potential customers.

We will NOT be back.