“Great jamaican food in a family neighborhood”
Review of Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings
Ranked #2,675 of 8,574 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: East York
Toronto, Canada
“Great jamaican food in a family neighborhood”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were in the beaches area and wanted to try something other than the bars, fusion thai and japanese restaurants along Queen St. East, near Woodbine. We googled this place and it was a pleasant surprise. It is a little restaurant in a neighborhood that is more residential than commercial. The decor is simple and has some nice Jamaican artwork. It has about 6 tables seating 3 to 4 people. It is a no frills place but we were surprised at the menu prices at $11 and up for a roti and meals BUT it was worth it. Full of flavor, not over salted or over spiced and the portions were enormous. The roti was the size of a small melon. There were many walk-in customers in the short amount of time we were there coming in and out. I like that the menu tells you whether the roti is boneless or not. We had the chicken roti, curry goat and oxtail meal. It was a pricey but very good meal and I will definately return here.

Service is excellent by a lovely lady who provides casual, friendly and attentive service.

• Visited July 2014

“Neither here nor there”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

A little overpriced not all that flavourful I was expecting better and really wanted to love this place it aint that bad but aint that good not bad if you are in the area but nothing special. Adios amigos!

• Visited December 2013
Canada
“Everyting is Criss”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great place for Jamaican in East End/Beaches. I've eaten Jamaican food all over Toronto and think this is the best Jamaican in the City. The place is quaint and friendly. I love the window tables.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank BalmyBeach
Port Dover, Ontario
“Delicious, inexpensive food in a charming environment”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Yesterday my daughter and her husband were anxious to take me to their newest "favourite" place in the neighbourhood. I was interested, but a bit reluctant because my experiences with Jamaican food had been few and not altogether to my liking. I'm glad I gave it another try because this place made me a believer. I ordered the Jerk chicken which in other places had been o.k. but a bit dry and over-spiced. Here they get it right. It's juicy, tender and although spicy, not overwhelming. Excellent rice and beans, and truly exceptional Cole slaw come with it. They give very large portions so small will do for most appetites, but then for a little over a dollar more why not get the large and take home tomorrow's lunch. They happily provide a take out box.
And happy is the stand out quality of this place. The people are lovely and friendly and when the locals come in for lunch the talk gets lively and the mood gets fun. It's a great building too. Big bright windows look out to the street. It's an old turn of the century shop with lots of original features which have been preserved and painted brightly. Everything is clean and well tended. Comfortable wooden chairs and tables. I hope that none of those restaurant makeover people ever get a hold of this one. I like it just the way it is, and I want to go back soon and order the ox-tail, and then I'll try a rotie, and perhaps later work up to ordering goat.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank fillorino
“Mmmmm, Roti.”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is an unassuming, delightful neighbourhood restaurant. I discovered Cool Runnings a couple of years ago when my kids took music lessons nearby. I decided to stop in and try a roti, and since then I've been hooked. The food is great, portions are perhaps too generous, the service is prompt, and the setting is kinda kitschy cool.

I keep taking friends there, and each one I have taken has been hooked just as I was.

Mmmm roti.