“Reply to the management”

La Cocina de Dona Luz
Ranked #5,693 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

You re a liar... Nice trying to save your reputation but the other reviews speak for me when I say you re unfair and your poor customer service will extend to anyone trying to use a groupon. We did not have 3 groupons you liar and your mother was not even there so why would you say that and lie some more. you were horrible to us from when we walked in the door and your staff was staring at us like we were criminals. I am a restaurant owner myself and my customers love us and never want to leave. They come just for the service and most come just to see us. We know what it takes to run a restaurant and we know the true value of every customer and treat them with respect. You made us feel so bad and unwelcome. The point of the groupon is to show customers great food and service so they return. They are not trying to be cheap but want to try before they make the long trip, pay for parking and try some new food. I hope you understand my concern.

4  Thank ChefVictoriaa

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We had chosen this restaurant because I had a groupon coupon that I had purchased a while back. The groupon coupon request you make a reservation, this is so they know your eating using a groupon certificate and thus give you a very limited menu, which was never explained using groupon. No other patron seemed to make a reservation.

Upon arrival we were asked if we had a reservation, which we said we had , which triggered him to bring us the VIP menu (with groupon redacted out). This was a very limited menu and nothing like the menu that was on line. We brought this to the attention of the waiter who stated that this was groupon's fault and that this was all their was. The choice was very limited and nowhere close to the value we had bought using the coupon.

The appetizer was a beef medallion which was quite tasty and filing. We both had ordered the pan fried snapper which came as a breaded fish. It seems they had just opened a frozen fish package and heated it up. Taste was horrible. Dessert was also very limited and was some sort of custard cookie, not very good.

Definately not worth the expense nor time, owners are dishonest and need to learn customer service,thus STAY AWAY AT ALL COST.

7  Thank Ari K
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I don't think any Peruvian (like myself) will consider that this restaurant serves "good Peruvian food". If you have ever tried real good Peruvian food you will immediately know that this is not the one.When we were there the service was adequate but the food very bland and lacking variety. I think they use quick rice which, for any Peruvian food lover, is an abomination. And they add a compulsory tip/gratuity to the bill that, for some reason, they think they are entitled to.

4  Thank Chaquito
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I knew this place would be sketchy as soon as I called to change my reservation once and the guy on the other line told me in an annoyed voice "okay, but no more changes!"

I bought a Groupon for $34 for 3 course meal with a value of up to $73. It read:

$34 for a three-course Peruvian meal for two (up to a $72.85 total value)

One appetizer (up to a $20.95 value)
Two entrees (up to a $22.95 value each)
One dessert (a $6 value)

Do not be deceived, the full menu online is NOT available when you use this voucher. They print off a "special" menu for you with the cheaper options. Ceviche? No. Steak? No. For app, the most expensive thing is beef heart cabobs worth 10.50. For entree most expensive thing is lamb shoulder worth 17.95. Dessert is a standard 6. I did not appreciate the trickery that these people played on me but don't be fooled, I will not be back for that one reason.

4  Thank Foodie G
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The owner is a horrible person. He treated us very poorly because we used a groupon. We like to try things first before spending full price at a dirty stink hole like this. he was racist and clearly did not want us there. He needs to work on his customer service or no one is going to eat at his outdated, stained, sorry excuse for a restaurant. If I went into detail you would be shocked! I will spare him the embarrassment.

4  Thank ChefVictoriaa
Luis B, Owner at La Cocina de Dona Luz, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

This unfortunate situation could have been handled better by all parties involved. For our part in the problem we are sincerely sorry. We are a small family restaurant, we have run a simple clean operation, serving happy customers for 17 years at this location, customers of all races and creeds, with no discrimination. We are a visible minority family ourselves. Vulgar disgusting language by customers, that was directed at my elderly mother will not be tolerated.

We are new to Groupon and how it works. We are not hi-tech and this customer had to leave to make a printout of their Groupon coupon. Groupon deals are clearly stated as 1 groupon per table. This customer wanted to use 3 groupons for one table and just get separate cheques. We were doing our best to accomodate this group of six that wanted to bend the rules of their contract to suit themselves. I will be advising Groupon to give these people their money back but also asking Groupon to remind them of their responsibility on using their Groupon correctly.

Luis B