“Terrible owner, lacks basic customer service”
Review of Villa - CLOSED

Villa
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I've lived in the neighborhood for 5+ hrs and have been to Villa several times. It was always a decent option in Bloor West with ok food. Service was never their strength. My prior experiences were before I had a kid.
My wife, 22 month old son and I decided to stop in for dinner one weeknight in July. My son has a milk allergy and had his dinner at home earlier. Because of the allergy we just picked up a small fried from McDs so he could munch on something. We went to Villa because we knew it was not a fancy place and thought it was kid friendly (paper tablecloths! Crayons for kids). We ordered our food,asked what items didn't have milk ingredients for our son and were not satisfied by the replies. While we waited for our meals, our son played with the crayons andante a fry occasionally. Then, the nice waitress came by and told us that outside food wasn't allowed in the restaurant. They could have said that when we sat down initially and put the small fry bag on the table clearly visible. We explained the milk allergy again to the waitress and offered to put the bag away and put a couple of fries on a plate. Shortly afterwards the owner came by. She said no outside food and we sakes if she can guarantee no milk products in their food and she said she could give hime some plain pasta. We told her we'd put the fry bag away and pull out a couple for him. She still resisted saying she couldn't allow a McDs bag in her restaurant. We put it away seething and contemplating leaving, but wanted to be nice to the waitress so we asked her to pack it.
I've talked to friends who own restaurants of similar and higher class and they all agreed that our compromise offer was suitable and the owner was unjustified. I would totally understand if it was a busy night or a better restaurant (that had real tablecloths). But it was early (6pm) with only a few people, some with kids who really wouldn't care if there were 5 fries on a bread plate.
This owner was unprofessional and should take a course on customer service. she lacked the common decency to show compassion for a baby that has a food allergy.
Needless to say, we will not return to Villa. I'll take my money to better restaurants even when we don't bring our kid out. Their loss.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We had pizza with whole grain crust and it was real tasty. My partner had seafood pasta which was above average. Nothing unique or different. Nice location.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

Went to Villa on Saturday for an alfresco dinner and we absolutely enjoyed our meal and atmosphere. We shared the beet and goat cheese salad, ordered the Pizza Crudo and Sweet Potato Pizza and enjoyed a beer on the sunny patio. The beet salad and sweet potato pizza were fantastic.

We look forward to going back and trying more pizzas.

Reviewed September 7, 2011

After a long day of business meetings, our hotel concierge recommended Villa and told us about the great tasting food. We first walked into a very busy restaurant and luckily they were able to accomodate our table of eight. It was very hard to decide what wot choose from because I really wanted to order so many things but I started off with the beet salad and the butternut squash ravioli. Both dishes were a hit and my colleagues were so impressed they made reservations for the next monthly visit to the city. A very enjoyable night.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

Just returned from lunch with six friends at Villa, what a disappointment. There was hardly anyone in the restaurant and it took over an hour to get our food. The waitress kept saying she was sorry but there was new kitchen staff and she was new. The glass of wine ordered was 1/4 full and the pasta at 18.95 was so salty you couldn't eat it.. We ask if there was new owners and was told no. It used to be such a nice place, oh well be warnded

2  Thank Richard D