“UGH!”

Cuisines: French, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: East End
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Mediocre food and indifferent service!
A long time since I have experienced such poor value.
Location is good and our table was bright and in the window where we could view the other establishments to which we wished we'd taken our custom.
Avoid. There's lots of better places nearby.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Is this the best food in the city. No. Is it decent at a fair price. Yes. The atmosphere is the best in the beach and the atmosphere is charming. The staff are friendly and warm. I eat there regularly and enjoy it. I have the steak frites and they are a good value and very well prepared. If you are going for a fine high end dining experience you will be disappointed. If you are going for a good local meal ,well priced in a nice place this is a wonderful choice. They also love dogs in the summer season. One of the best patios in the beach

1  Thank jonToronto
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The other reviews here seem to say that this place is okay for brunch, but terrible for main meals. We went here for supper on a Friday evening and guess what? Yup, it was poor.

The crab cakes were all right, but nothing special. The panko-crusted chicken was fine, but a tad overwhelmed by the sun-dried tomatoes. The bruschetta was, as noted here by another reviewer, oddly served with tomato on the side of the garlic bread, instead of atop.

But most annoying to me was the disappointment x 3 in the jambalya. First off, within a few bites, I bit into a small black stone. It was probably in the rice (I hope), but I set it on the side of the plate and didn't want to make a big deal of it. Then I bit into a bone in my supposedly bonelss chicken. Again, I set it aside, and didn't say anything--it happens. But what was most disturbing was the taste of the sausages in this dish. It had the off taste of meat that has gone past its expiry date. I tried a second piece, thinking that maybe the first was a fluke. Nope. Then--did I dare--a third? Same thing. I let my partner try, and he agreed. So we set the rest of the pieces on the side of the plate. My regret is that I soldiered on, instead of just saying to waitress at the second bite of sausage that I thought it had gone bad.

When I did tell her as she cleared the plates, she did apologize, and said that she'd tell the chef. But when I went to pay, about 20 minutes later, no one said a thing. Usually, in most restaurants (and I say this because I used to work in one, and we took customers' feedback seriously), if I tell them that I thought the food had gone bad, they'd go and check the rest of the supply, and let us know. But they said neither "Yes, it had gone bad", or "No, you were wrong." Just silence as I paid.

So the various things found in my food, the bad food itself, and the silence about the potentially harmful meat, all assured that I would never go back to this place, and make sure I tell friends about my experience.

1  Thank BeenHereDoneThis
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I read the other reviews and was tempted not to go to this restaurant. I had been before and really enjoyed my meal so thought I would take a chance and try it again. I went for the Sunday brunch with a friend and all the food was hot and delicious. Great choice from roast beef to salads to waffles and omelettes. All you can eat for around $14 plus drink. I went back again two days later for lunch. The lentil/spinach soup and chicken wrap were delicious. The service was fantastic. I think the other reviewers must have just come to the restaurant when a new chef and/or waitresses were just starting. No complaints here.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Walked into this resturant when I was at the Beaches Jazz Festival. I may have found one of the worst restaurants in Toronto. As I was being seated I saw two plates of pasta go by and should have left then. They looked terrible. Instead, decided to have a beer (it was a hot day) and get a salad. It was as mediocre a greek salad as I have ever had. I warned my wife about the pasta I saw and she only ordered veggie somosa's. They were inedible. They were very overcooked, had turned hard from the overcooking, and when I busted one open, it was all dough. Didn't eat them, finished the beer and got out of there. I saw others leave without ordering and should have done the same. As they say - once bitten ... and with 13,000 other establishments in Toronto I seriously wonder how this place survives. YUCK!

2  Thank circumventor