“Very difficult to rate”
Review of Globe Bistro

Globe Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Globe Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #297 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: East End
Cross street: Broadview
Transit: We are situated half of a block east of Broadview station on the Bloor TTC subway line.
Description: Join us for a unique local food experience just minutes from the downtown core. Anchoring the entrance to the Danforth, Globe Bistro offers something for everybody. We are open for dinner daily (except Monday). Enjoy a leisurely weekend brunch with friends. Friday lunches host a mix of locals gathering or business meetings. Neighbourhood dining at its best! Feel free to chat with the Chef at the open kitchen or for more intimacy, a private dining room is available for groups. Fresh seasonal and local ingredients inspire Chef Dan Sander's culinary creations that incorporate flavours from around the world. The rooftop patio is a secret oasis from the Danforth. Think global. Eat local!
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went for the tasting menu with wine pairing. The food was mostly good with the exception of the grilled trout which was over-grilled. Our first wine, a sparkling wine, was quite good. But it went down-hill from there. All of the wines were from Ontario and none, with the exception of the sparkling one, were very good. The setting of the Globe Bistro is very nice. There are a couple of huge Dean Koontz-like apparitions that appear to be trying to come through the wall to dine with the patrons. The the staff, all of them, are excellent. That said, at $100 per head, it just doesn't work. Then again, I do like this place. Perhaps if they'd just do some work on the wine list?

There are newer reviews for Globe Bistro

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Tried this restaurant for lunch today and was satisfied with the ambiance and total experience. This restaurant has 2 sections on the ground level, the main entrance has dark and bar setting while the inner section has chic feel to it with open spare and refrigerated wine cellar. There is a second floor that has a separate room in itself that can be used for private or special parties/meetings. The roof top is also nice, I can imagine it to have an intimate setting for special occasions. Overall, it was a very good experience in spite of the unavailability of some food ordered.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Don't go here for the tasting menu with a Groupon unless you want to feel like an after thought and wait 2 and a half to 3 hours it's ridiculous. We first went up to the patio for buck a shuck oysters at about a quarter to 6, than went down to the dinning room at 6:15 for our 6 course tasting menu. Had to put money in the meter again 2 and a half hours later before our main course. Some of the courses came out faster than other the gazpacho, the sorbet, the ceviche, as you would expect. Our main the very rare veal medallion took forever, I don't mind rare my wife does not, I told her to send it back but she didn't. Why the wait for dishes that obviously do not take long to prepare, I don't know. My impression is that the kitchen doesn't really like to do these so you feel like an after thought, instead of feeling that the meal is geared towards you, almost as if they give you what they aren't selling a lot of that night. The ceviche was not very refreshing lacking more of a boost of citrus flavour. None of the dishes wowed me but were all very lack luster, I'd say the best was the palate cleanser, cranberry sorbet that was very good. We walked out of there a little before 9, so we won't be going back for dinner. Adios amigos, ALBONDIGAS!

globeho, Owner at Globe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the tasting menu experience. I just wanted to clarify a couple of your concerns with the menu and pace.

We ran the promotion to highlight the fact that we do tasting menus on a daily basis. The Chefs enjoy the challenge of creating new menus and items regularly in addition to the set menu items we have.

Also, the Chef sets the tasting menu items in the afternoon and prepares the ingredients for a certain number of overall covers for the evening. Often, the Chef does feature the same item on the "main course" for the tasting menu as the a la carte feature of the day. But the menu is certainly not repurposed from other dinner mise-en-place.

Regarding the pace of the meal, I tend to personally enjoy a leisurely pace when I dine out with my wife as I don't get to do it that often. By design we try to give guests approximately 20 minutes per course. So with 6 courses served, from the time you sit down (plus cocktails/wine/etc) to the time you leave (bill is presented & paid) we estimate about two and half hours. Had we known that you were looking for a faster pace, we certainly could have accommodated brisker service.

Should you choose to return, please let us know and we will certainly ensure that your next experience will exceed all of your expectations. Sincerely, Ed Ho. Owner

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Globe Bistro has been off of our dining rotation for a while now. After Saturday evenings dinner, not sure why we've been away from it for so long, but its definitely back on.
We really enjoy the rooms simplicity and clean lines. Long and narrow, the rooms focal point is the unique flooring left over from its bowling alley past. Crisp linens, glass panels, and some simple yet funky art complete the scene extremely well.
Our meal started with a well executed gin martini for myself and a prosecco for my wife.
Our wine choice was an excellent Super Tuscan recommended by our outstanding server, who was extremely attentive and very knowledgeable.
The starter choices were a beef tartare for myself, and scallop and pork belly for my wife. Both were solid and well executed, with the scallop being a wee bit overdone for my taste. I recognize that many do like a scallop to be cooked through vs the translucent that i like, but to each his own.
Mains were the pan seared duck for myself ( with a home-made duck liver sausage) , and the trout with red lentils for my wife. Again two exceptional dishes, well presented and solidly executed.
The Globe bistro delivered on all fronts on Saturday. I'm glad to see they are still a going concern and look forward to more visits in the near future

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The food was OK. Good, but not so special. We had salad, gnocchetti and Arctic char. I guess i just expected more of a flavour oomph.

The servers were friendly and helpful, but everything took far longer than it should have.

We were there for the pre-concert prix fixe deal, which they knew, but we had to wait too long to order, to get our drinks, to get our food (we waited close to 30 mins for our mains, longer than others who ordered after us-- think we were forgotten), to get the bill.

The wine list is quite extensive and has a good selection, but there were only 2 beers on tap-- one of which they ran out of. Given their local food mandate, not sure why they don't have a selection of local craft beers on tap.

Was worth it given that we were doing the prix fixe deal, but would have been disappointed had we been paying full price.