“Handy for pre-Rogers Centre events - that's about it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Baton Rouge

Baton Rouge
Reserve with OpenTable
Baton Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #312 of 8,066 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Gluten Free Options
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Cross street: John Street
Transit: Subway St-Andrews Station
Ajax, Canada
“Handy for pre-Rogers Centre events - that's about it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have eaten at a few Bâton Rouge locations. I've never been blown away by the food, but never disappointed, either. Last time I had the ribs, which were good, but you don't get too many on your plate (for the money). I thought that would be too much for me this time, so I opted for the Bâton Rouge burger (minus tomato and their dijonnaise sauce), done medium-well. Good texture, a bit light on flavour - maybe that's why the dijonnaise is part of the dish. The bun held up all the way through. I think I expected an 8 oz. beef burger to be a bit larger. The fries were good - cooked through, crispy but not dry, lightly salted. I think I'd go elsewhere if I was paying, as the value seems fair at best.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Pass the Baton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

It was very pleasant to sit outside but less pleasant to be opposite a speaker emitting over loud music. It took some while (after we had ordered) for the waiter to discover that potato soup, supposedly the signature soup, was not available so my partner had a overly dull Caesar salad before our main courses. The croutons could kindly be described as ordinary, the parmesan sparse. I think it might have been 'flavour-free' week at Baton Rouge. Greg's salmon and sweet potato fries were OK but my coated chicken breast lacked a lot. Cheddar and scallion could have added a zest they did not and an accompanying salsa was little more than slightly lumpy tomato sauce. Garlic mash leant towards the English rather than any French influence in our location as it too avoided any obvious garlic flavour. The dessert menu did not appeal but simple vanilla ice cream was brought willingly.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
Ontario's Near North, Canada
“Excellent choice before a BlueJays game”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Finding good food by the Rogers Centre can be a challenge. This Baton Rouge is virtually in the shadow of the ballpark, right on Front Street. The staff are super friendly and helpful. They know that most patrons are time-crunched and always manage to get you in and out when you are in a hurry. That has been my experience all three times I've visited this location.

The last time I was there I had the Amarillo Chicken. Very tasty.

I see other reviewers have had bad experiences with service. Not so for me so far, so I'll keep going back. As for prices, yes they are a bit on the high side compared to places like Kelsey's, Lone Star, Milestones, etc. But I think the food is better at Baton Rouge and the prices are matched with quality and service.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
St. Catharines, Canada
“Baton Rouge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We went to this restaurant while waiting around for the kids at the Justin Bieber concert. Decor and ambiance was nice but food was a little pricey for what you got.

Visited September 2011
Detroit, Mi
“Close to Rogers Centre, and that's about it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Baton Rouge is located in the shadow of the Rogers Centre, so it's a convenient place to visit before/after an event, but that's about it. The service was deplorable - slow, not friendly and inattentive. Neither server (not sure why we had a different server half way through our meal) ever introduced himself/herself and never checked back on us once we received our meals. In addition to the horrible service, this place is overpriced, even by Toronto standards.

The food was above average and the only reason I did not give the place a "terrible" rating. Most of my party had sandwiches and fries, which were decent. Although the chicken sandwich was served with an obscene amount of fries to mask the fact that the chicken breast was very small. I enjoyed a thai chicken salad, which was quite good and generous with the chicken. The bottom line - skip this place in favor of something more authentic and exciting.

Visited July 2012

Been to Baton Rouge? Share your experiences!