“Very Good Thai Fare though it Seemed like an Off-Day for Service”
Review of Coco Rice

Coco Rice
Ranked #2,468 of 9,071 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Reviewed May 19, 2014

This is a place to get some very good Thai food on the West side of downtown Toronto. We decided to try this place at the suggestion of a colleague. The location on King near Bathurst was very convenient for us as it was just a 3-block walk from the office. The storefront fit in with the feel of the block while the interior was nicely done and comfortable. Upon entering, we seated ourselves right away but it took a little longer than it should have for the server to get menus to us as it was not terribly busy. When he did, we saw that it was typical Thai fare with a few niches. We noted that there were lunch specials available for pretty good prices. I chose the Ginger Chicken lunch special which came with rice, soup or salad and a spring roll. I opted for the hot and sour soup rather than the salad. The spring roll was very good and the soup was likewise tasty. However, the Ginger Chicken was outstanding. It had a little stronger ginger taste compared to most recipes I have tried. At the same time, it was not overwhelming giving it a pleasing quality. The prices were quite good making this a very good value. The biggest drawback to our visit was that we had to wait about 15 minutes for someone to bring us our bill. It was only when we got up to walk away that they brought it to us. My colleague mentioned that the service had been fine on his previous visits so we concluded it must have been an off-day. Overall, I will look forward to trying this place again on another visit to Toronto as the food was great and I have reason to believe the service will be better next time.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

The food at this restaurant is deceptively good. It is located at Bathurst & King and looks pretty dumpy on the outside. The restaurant is usually pretty empty - this is because the vast majority of business is done through takeout and delivery by the locals that live nearby. I always order takeout or delivery so cannot comment on the service at the restaurant. This is definitely the best thai food in the city. My favorite dishes are the green curry chicken and pad woon sen (glass noodle chicken). The spring rolls are the best in Toronto - order them and dip them in the green curry sauce - amazing! I have recently moved from Liberty Village to Lawrence Park and Coco Rice is what I miss the most.

1  Thank Scuttle_hole
Reviewed September 18, 2013

What made me choose for this restaurant is the fact that offers vegetarian and vegan options.
Service is good and fast. The waiter was often checking that we had enough hot water for our teas. Would go back

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Coco Rice is down the street from my condo and we'll often take out or get delivery. This is my favourite Thai resto in Toronto by far. The coconut rice is wonderful, the springrolls are nice and crispy and have great filling, and some of my other favourite dishes are the Thai grilled beef, mixed veggies, and you must try the deep fried banana. We've been a fan of this restaurant since trying it when it first opened many years ago on King St. and we've been steady regulars since!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I visited the restaurant recently when visiting my brother who lives in Toronto, he had been here before and recommended it and i was not dissapointed. We were a party of 4 and i tried paid tai for the first time in my life and the flavour was amazing. The also have very reasonable set meals which my parents tried and very much enjoyed, which is a good way to dip your toe and try some things you might not usually try. This place is simple with amazing flavoured food and i would highly recommend it.