“Used to be good(?), NOT under this new management!”
Review of Lobster Trap Restaurant - CLOSED

Lobster Trap Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North York
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I should mention that this place has been under a new management for the last few months (I overheard the new owner arguing with another customer). We went with my friend's couple because they really liked the food and service last year.

The food was not presented nicely, and while the lobster seemed fresh, the taste wasn't rich enough for the 1 1/2 broiled lobster ($49). Lobster Thermidor tasted very creamy, without much taste.

The service was just terrible. We had to ask twice to get our second garlic bread; the waiter sure looked like he had forgotten about it -- he did not apologize about the delay. It took them about 40 minutes to get our main entree and we didn't get our necessary condiments (butter for lobster and other seafood) until we were halfway done. When we asked for the butter for the second time, he (the same waiter) mumbled something about there's not enough for every table as he was walking away. Adding to what is becoming a bad dinner night, sauces for seafood and baked potato came in disposable ketchup cups that you see at McDonald's; they said they ran out of those 'aprons' to cover your shirt when eating lobster; and they also happened to run out of lobster cutters as well.

We were trying to be nice on a Christmas Eve and look past all that since it was a relatively busy night (It's a Christmas Eve, so the 'new' owner should have got more people working), but when the time came to pay for our food and leave, the owner was giving us a very arrogant attitude, saying, "What do you want me to do about it?", not in a polite tone, to say the least. Needless to say, I didn't feel like leaving a tip for such terrible service and not feel bad about it. I have never left a restaurant feeling so disrespected after spending over $50 a person on what was passable food quality. I get treated much better at Subway or McDonald's. Maybe the new management will get their act together over time, but it's too late for me. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

5  Thank Minsoon C

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Nice meal but overpriced lobsters given that $per lb retail is under $10! Let's not talk about the wholesale prices, we all know what they are. So, for a lobster meal , its pricey. They offer king crab too at a higher price point . We go there as it is a neighbourhood restaurant and they offer kids meal too . It's good if you are craving kingcrabs or lobsters.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I went there recently and was wondering why the line up wasn't out the door and it turns out that the owners had changed in Aug and the food is no longer as good as before.

3  Thank 324Traveler
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Lobster Trap has been around for ages and throughout the decades we have revisited the restaurant. We used to think the decor was quaint and keeping with the casual ambience for a lobster feast. The restaurant is well worn now and definitely needs a face lift. It still seems quite popular judging from the line up but I couldn't see why. The meal was only passable and not worth the price. The lobster that appeared on our plates did not look like the size we ordered. 1 3/4 lb lobster was priced at $52 - we could have had a 4 lb lobster at that price at a Chinese restaurant with better decor. Service was extremely slow and it took an hour for our meal to appear. How long does it take to steam a lobster? I don't think quite that long.

2  Thank ChineseJamaican
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I've been to Lobster Trap a few times, we love to go there for its lobster bisque and steamed lobsters, the boiled lobsters are good too but a bit on the heavy side. My boyfriend and I would order a 3lbs steamed lobsters and sides to share (lobster bisque, salad and drink) I know it doesn't sound a lot, but it's filling, they also have garlic bread, which is delicious. The decor is not modern, its a cozy family restaurant, the few times we've been there, there was a gentleman playing a piano which adds a nice touch. When we have a lobsters crave, we'll for sure go there, the price is reasonable but the key thing is that the lobster is fresh. One thing I recently found out that I could have order 1/2 boiled and 1/2 steamed. I'll for sure order that next time :)