“Best sushi I've had in Toronto so far!”
Review of Japango

Japango
Ranked #472 of 8,641 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Toronto, Canada
“Best sushi I've had in Toronto so far!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Japango was recommended by a couple of friends a while back but I only got to try it recently since it's located downtown and a bit far from where I live. Hands down best sushi I've tried within Toronto so far. The quality of the sushi (from the freshness of the fish to the taste, texture and stickiness of the sushi rice) is way above the ones that you get from All-you-can-eat sushi places which have been popping up everywhere.

The price is a bit steep, especially if you compare it with AYCE sushi places. But you get what you pay for - amazing sushi and excellent service!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Jenn C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Red Deer, Canada
“Great little Japanese place off the beaten path”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

One of my favourite places in my hometown of Toronto - even with tons of other sushi places around the city. None are quite like this one.

This place is a great little Japanese restaurant that serves super fresh and authentic Japanese food. It's off on a side street and is quite small so don't miss it and go to the big Japanese restaurant almost next door to Japango. Make reservations ahead of time to avoid being disappointed and expect to be seated uncomfortably in a jam packed restaurant.

As others have said, fish is always fresh. One of the best features - Japango Roll - from what I remember - it's like a california roll with raw scallop and salmon on top drizzled with a brown sweet sauce - then it's torched with a blowtorch.....it's heavenly! My other favourite is the Chirashi - always great since you get a variety of the freshest sashimi of the day and it really fills you up! Udons are good too with tasty soup and the udon has a nice chewy texture.

It is a little bit higher priced than other Japanese restaurants - but it's worth it for the quality of food you're getting. Definitely a place for true Japanese Food lovers to go!

Tip: they have Lunch Specials which is slightly lower priced than their dinner menu.

• Visited October 2011
Toronto
“Fantastic food and ambiance in this little gem”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Japango is a great all around restaurant. The food is excellent, I've never had any complaints and have been there numerous times over the past 3-4 years. The staff is friendly and the cute little setup makes you feel like you're doing something different than going to a chain restaurant (not that there's anything wrong with that!), but sometimes I want to feel like I, going somewhere unique.

The restaurant isn't open on Sundays, and as stated before, it's small. So make a reservation!

Visited April 2012
“Great sushi ... To go!”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

delicious but consider take out- there are only a few crammed tables that dont offer much in the way of ambience

Toronto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I had been to Japango many times before, always enjoyed it. I don't know if there are new owners, but something has changed. I ordered a sashimi don and hamachi sashimi (I was hungry) ...

The salad arrived, the lettuce was rusty and some greens were well beyond their serve-by date. If these were greens in my 'fridge, they would have been tossed. The sashimi don was, as always very fresh and the gochuchang, truly divine. They brought me nigiri sushi when I had asked for sashimi, which I pointed out so that was an issue. Not once did they refill my tea. It was busy but there were servers who did not seem to be using their time effectively. VERY disappointed today. What has happened to you, Japango?? The Adjuma was friendly as always when I paid but I should have said something re: the experience today. For the important stuff, i.e. the quality of the fish - they are bang on. The best in TO. For the peripherals ... not too sure.

• Visited April 2012