“Top sushi restaurant comes to Riverside”

Mazz Japanese Bistro
Ranked #3,931 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Japanese, Korean
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: East End
Description: DISTRICT is a modern Japanese Bistro located in the heart of the trendy Riverside district of Toronto. DISTRICT blends sleek and sexy design with modern and authentic Japanese cuisine.  The result is a tempting and tantalizing fusion of sophistication and flavour in an elegant yet intimate lounge like setting.     Located on Queen Street East, in the space formerly occupied by Woodgreen Fish & Chips, District is a sleek and modern addition to the up-and-coming Riverside /Leslieville neighbourhood.    Arguably the area’s first ever sophisticated sushi restaurant, DISTRICT is a place to socialize, to linger, to relax and to savour a fresh and flavourful dining experience.
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Mazz, which is new to our neighbourhood, has a menu with some scary prices. We hummed and hawed, then one day took the leap. The reason the prices are a bit higher is because Mazz has taken a giant step upwards in the quality department. I had the sushi lunch. It came with the best miso soup I've ever had, and a tasty, great looking green salad, with a huge wedge of avocado. The strips of sushi (8) were large and excellent, and the rolls - two different types - were tops. Welcome to the hood, Mazz.

1  Thank Jack-Dru
There are newer reviews for Mazz Japanese Bistro

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

A little gem in Leslieville!  We first visited their first restaurant on Bloor and they had great food. We found out that they have recently opened a second here. We strongly recommend the Black Cod, Teriyaki Steak and Spicy Salmon Roll.
The Black cod, though an appetizer really complimented the hot rice and the meat was super tender while maintaining a nice crispy skin! The  Teriyaki steak was soft, tender, rib eye quality steak that had great flavor and is not the usual teriyaki standard sauce that is poured over the steak. While all the sashimi fish were really fresh, we have to give top marks for the spicy salmon roll and its crispy little bits (tempura like bits?) were such interesting inclusion into the roll that just made it really perfect.

All in all, we were very pleased with our meal and for the quality of the food, you would have expected to pay more at various up market restaurants. They are new to the block so it is also great that the place is not packed and you will get great attentive service and a quiet ambience. Miso soups that came with the meal has oysters in them which was a really nice bonus.

1  Thank thehappyface
Reviewed July 1, 2013

They have the best sushi for the best price in toronto. My friend used to tell me about this place and I decided to try it myself. The restaurant was packed when I got there and had to wait for a table a bit but it was totally worth waiting. Friendly staff brings foods quickly but with manner, I feel as though i had to leave as soon as I was finished as there were other ppl waiting for the table. Wanted to chat more with friends but decided to go to cafe afterwards. :)
I know Japanese food, especially the fish and all the sashimi were VERY fresh and melted in my mouth!! Totally coming back for regular dining out!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were in Toronto recently and went to our friends' local sushi place. District Bistro has been open for a while now — tucked into an old building still with the stamped tin ceilings at the residential end of Queen St E. We had very impressively prepared selections from a broad menu. We are lucky to have a great Japanese restaurant near our own home, but this place was absolutely superb. the staff is fun and prices are reasonable for such high quality in the "big city". Definitely a keeper.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

My friend and I really enjoyed our meal. I had the Dynamite specialty Maki as well as the Spicy roll, classic Maki which was not at all spicy. There was enough left to ask for a takeout container. My friend found her crunchy lime salmon dish very well tasty. I discovered District by way of a Grouping. The restaurant was relatively busy but the service did not suffer.