“The Peking Duck was Fantastic”
Review of R&D

R&D
Reserve a Table
Today
8:00 PM
Ranked #217 of 10,303 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighborhood: Old Toronto
Description: R&D is a bold and modern restaurant in the heart of Toronto's iconic Chinatown, headed by first-ever MasterChef Canada winner Eric Chong and his mentor, Michelin-starred restaurant owner Alvin Leung. Venerable chef Nelson Tsai rounds out the team as Chef de Cuisine. The stylish interior reflects R&D's dualistic nature: open & abuzz with energy while preserving an intimate atmosphere. At R&D, eastern dishes meet western style in the form of modern Chinese sharing plates, where classic ingredients are given a vanguard treatment. The eclectic menu features modern dim sum dishes like Grandpa's Fun Guo and Little Dragon Buns, and sharing plates like Lobster Chow Mein and Umami Caesar. An innovative and vibrant selection of cocktails complement the bold and playful fare.
Reviewed May 5, 2019

My wife and I were looking for a Peking Duck place and this showed up. This restaurant is fusion place and therefore, it was not traditional Peking Duck, but no matter. The duck was excellently cooked and the meat was juicy. Traditional Duck normally focuses on the skin of the duck, this place focuses on the skin and the meat which suited my taste just fine.
It was kinda funny and interesting that the Cantonese family next to us gave us the "side eye" and made some remarks about the duck not being authentic, but no matter as well. This is definitely a dish that you should try.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed May 1, 2019 via mobile

Not the common spring rolls but some revisited asian food dish in a nice and charming restaurant. Very good service.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

An overall disappointing experience. It started with us waiting for 10min until we got seated. The table was dirty and the seats were covered with rice and other food scraps. Afterwards the service took a long while until taking our order.
Of the main dishes 4 were already sold out.
We ordered only appetizers first. The spring rolls and dim sums were ok, the slow cooked octopus lost all its flavor other then a roasted ti the point of burnt flavor.
Afterwards we waited for another 20min for the waiter, who was talking to other employees and friends instead of taking our order. It was so discouraging that we decided to pay, leave and simply get food somewhere else.
To summarize, we paid way to much money for below average food and awful service. I saw a lot of good reviews which leads me to believe we were unlucky with our experience, but I can only judge from my own experience.

Date of visit: March 2019
1  Thank flotheflamp
Reviewed March 19, 2019 via mobile

This place is amazing, if I could give it more stars I would. Our waiter was so friendly and helpful. All the food was delicious but especially the char sui bun which was one of, if not the best, I have ever tasted. Would definitely recommend.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 5, 2019 via mobile

Very happy we picked R&D to celebrate ge year of the pig. The service started out a bit slow but improved significantly once we ordered signature cocktails which were great. I fancy myself a bit of a cocktail expert and I was very pleased with our drinks. I ordered from the winterlicious menu and was very pleased. Lettuce wrap, torched salmon belly were great. My partner ordered off the ala cartel menu tuna tartare and seafood chow mein. Equally pleased. In the end service was great. Meal delicious. I'd recommend a visit.

Date of visit: February 2019