“High quality, yet affordable vegan restaurant”

King's Cafe Vegetarian Restaurant
Ranked #947 of 8,947 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Find a high quality vegan restaurant in Toronto that happens to also be reasonably priced is not easy to come by. This is one of them. It's Asian cuisine with a pretty extensive and easy to read menu. The food you get is always beautiful and delicious. Me and my friends have been here many times and every time we've had great, friendly service.

This restaurant also has a cool little store inside where you can buy a lot of the food on their menu including a very impressive selection of loose leaf teas. Like, REALLY awesome teas! It's high quality tea, so some of them are a little bit pricey, but worth every penny.

Bathrooms are very clean and the restaurant space overall is very modern, clean and open unlike a lot of vegan and vegetarian restaurants where it's much more "rustic".

1  Thank Gen-with-a-g

Reviewed October 9, 2012

from my blog:

Ambience and Service

The restaurant was reasonably decorated. It has a contemporary feel but lacked ambience and warmth. On the plus side, the place is very clean and bright. The service was average. When we arrived the restaurant was mostly empty. There were two servers and we were seated promptly. The servers were professional but I wouldn’t consider them to be friendly. We waited about 5 minutes for the server to take our order. It took about another ten minutes to get our food. Unfortunately, our food arrived one dish at a time, but that wasn’t limited to our table.

Food and Beverage Quality

King’s Café has an extensive menu of Asian dishes so you have a lot to choose from. We ordered four dishes. Our Lemongrass Fried Rice dish was nice – the rice was grainy and the dish had a nice lemongrass flavour, and bean-curd, edamame and Gogi berries added nice textures and flavour profiles. However, I found it to be somewhat greasy. But, it isn’t just your average Asian-style fried rice, with a little lemongrass for taste.

The rest of our food, however, left something to be desired. We ordered Soy Drumsticks as an appetizer. I didn’t like the bamboo sticks as the bone (would have preferred sugarcane instead), and the soy was way too heavy and hard to bite into. Plus, it was rather oily and dampened my appetite slightly since it was the appetizer. Our BBQ Veggie Duck was flavorful, but nothing special. The gluten pieces were good when they were hot, but turned rubbery after they cooled down. They texture was not similar to real duck meat. The BBQ Seitan dish was a disappointment. While it had a subtle BBQ flavour, the gluten was over-fried and too spongy. On the plus side, the dish came with some steamed bok choy.

The food was certainly not memorable. Overall, the food was bland, greasy and had a faux texture. Our dishes aren’t the best options to pick if you live under the delusion that vegetarian fare equates to the kindness of low calorie counts. I've had better faux-meat vegetarian food elsewhere in Toronto.

King’s Café has an extensive beverage list, from teas to healthy shakes. For our drinks, I ordered hot ginger tea and it was fresh with just the right spiciness. My partner ordered an avocado shake and he tells me it lacked avocado flavour. King’s café has a small selection of desserts – mainly cookies and bars, but we didn’t try any sweets. They also have an in-store vegetarian food section that includes teas, soy-based products and other vegetarian food stuff.

Verdict

Surprisingly, healthy vegetarian options are few and far between in Toronto. This makes it harder for me to write off King’s Café as a choice for vegetarian food. I might come to this place again the next time if I am in the Market and looking for an Asian vegetarian meal.

Prices

Soups and Appetizers: C$2.99 to C$12.99
Mains: C$8.99 to C$12.99
Drinks: C$1.49 to C$4.99

2  Thank Don E
Reviewed August 9, 2012

So many options, so few dollars, so much satisfaction. If you're in Kensington market, this might not be your first choice, but once you catch the vibe, you'll know what you're in for. Does the trick!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

In among the busy market stores is gentle and serene restaurant with good vegetarian food. I am not a vegetarian but I enjoy the fare. We usually order the "Bento" boxes because the main dish comes with soup, salad, deep fried vegetables and rice. The food seems very fresh and the sauces are plain but flavourful. The only thing we have ordered that we did not enjoy was the tempura because the batter had an unusual cinnamon flavour that was pleasant at first, but overwhelmed the taste of the vegetables. There is an excellent selection of teas.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

went there twice during a recent visit - and loved everything. The rice-paper wrapped starters with noodles and vegetables inside were superb, fresh and different. My kung-po not-chicken was likewise superb, and the veggie sushi was amazing. I'm a meat eater and could happily eat everything on this menu. The black bean dessert was brilliant too. Staff were very attentive, knowledgeable and pleasant, service was fast and efficient and the decor is European minimalist; but I don't think it's fair to say that it has no atmosphere. It's not licensed, by the way, and closes quite early in the evening - check before you go. Our first visit was close to closing time and we didn't get offered dessert! But overall I'd happily pay much more for this genuinely exciting food.