“A college guy bar more than anything”

Black Bull Hotel & Tavern
Ranked #2,046 of 9,068 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We headed to the Black Bull because our nephew said he used to eat there a lot. I can see why a college student would like the bar. There is a wide range of items on the menu from Greek salads to burgers. My husband and I both had burgers. My mushroom and Swiss burger was oddly flavorless. His burger was good. The women's bathroom was filthy and the doors wouldn't quite shut. I've had better bar food than what was offered here, but my husband loved it. Maybe it's a guy thing. Our waitress was very nice.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We hit the Black Bull on a hot, humid afternoon after a miserable Blue Jays game. The cool interior and first rate burgers (and beer) were just what we needed. Nice visit.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We arrived in Toronto after a long train ride from New York, tired and thirsty. 2 blocks from our apartment we discovered Black Bull Tavern. We were seated immediately by a very good looking waiter who was very helpful describing the beers available. The menu is decent, with pizza and burgers. But really, I went there for the beers and the wonderful patio. I would and have gone again.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The service here is by far the worst I've ever seen. When asking the server for something it was as if we were a huge burden on her. It was worse than it sounds. I was trying to get her attention, she turns to me raising her finger rudely saying "Just a minute" and she left... only to come back 15 mins later. There were other instances of rudeness I've never seen before in customer service.

The food wasn't that good either. At least we were on the patio and could enjoy the sun because it was the only good thing there. Very disappointed.

1  Thank stayclassy10
Reviewed March 6, 2013

If you are looking for a place to have a beer and some good pub fare, and to simply rest your feet and enjoy a laid-back relaxed atmosphere, then this is it. The food is good and the portions are generous. I would recommend the Mediterranean pizza, as well as the calamari. Both very good.

1  Thank Hunterboeuf