“Always good”
Review of Cava Restaurant

Cava Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cava Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #431 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: St. Clair
Transit: St. Clair subway station is located two blocks south of Cava on the south east corner of Yonge & St. Clair
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to Cava after a rather poor meal at Didier. Having left most of the food we ordered, we were still hungry when we left. The evening would have been quite a disaster but thankfully I remembered Cava which managed to find us a table at the bar. I have never been disappointed with any of the food I have ordered at Cava and this was no exception. The wine list is also fairly extensive. My only regret was not going there first of all

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I lived in Toronto for most of my life but now I have moved away and only sometimes get to the city for some personal and business reasons. In that respect I am able to view the restaurants and lifestyle spots in this city from a somewhat more balanced perspective and not from the "Torontocentric" perspective of most of the reviewers who have commented on this restaurant. So here is my review of Cava.
Hideously expensive and sadly inconsistent. That is my first comment. Wine prices are out of this world at an average of $16. for a nice glass of Spanish wine, (it is a tapas bar so Spanish wines and sherry abound), Most people start off by ordering a cone of popcorn prepared in a kind of Chipoltle flavoring, (I wonder if Orville Redenbacher has thought of that?) and then you can choose from a menu that does not often change and consists of teeny weeny little bites of food that one can barely see with the naked eye. Lots of typically high carb offerings prepared with root veggies, (as is the norm in Ontario high end restaurants), so if you're off carbs beware, not a whole lot of protein in these dishes and when it IS served, meat fish and poultry are about the size of a looney. Literally. We ordered a sable fish tapa, which was nice but tiny and expensive, a foie gras which was obviously reaching the end of it's best before date and didn't have the fine flavor one would expect, I took a bite and almost broke my tooth on the hard wafer it was served on which turned me off I guess and then gave the rest of my tiny portion to my partner. We ordered a slow cooked brisket type dish where the meat had apparently been cooked for a full 48 hours. A little overkill here I think as the meat was a sad little grey thing seved on some watery celeriac.
There is no bread service, (I guess they don't want you to get TOO full), unless you ask and don't even think about butter or dipping oils etc. I guess they don't eat bread in Spain (LOL)
The servers were OK. A little haughty perhaps but after I finished my first small glass of wine I ordered another and the waiter forgot to bring it, I saw it sitting on the bar for 10 minutes all alone. Finally someone brought it over but we had finished eating all those miniscule courses which certainly doesn't take long as you can imagine. So they told me I didn't have to take it and they brought all three of us each a glass of fine sherry with a bit of chocolate at the end to make up for it. At the end, our cheque came to $144.00 plus taxes and gratuity and we thought we would have to go out for a pizza at the joint down the street. It was December 30th, the day before New Years Eve and some people might say that it isn't a good time to visit this type of restaurant but my comment on that is, if you are going to charge these kind of prices you had better be perfect, ALL THE TIME. No excuses. The restaurant is teeny tiny like the portion sizes and it was only half full that night. When we called late for a reservation they told us we had to come in by 6 p.m. as they were completely booked up later. However I walked by the restaurant about 8 p.m.to grab some coffees for us at the Second Cup and the restaurant was near empty. So go figure. Now I've dined in fine restaurants in cities like New York and Paris as I travel to these places on business and now think that Toronto restaurants have gone too far in terms of the pricing both in wine and food they are just not there in my opinion. Cava is an exceptional example of that.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I went there a couple of days ago. We went with the "Trust the Chef" menu and I am glad we did :) The steak for the main dish, Octopus for the appetizers, and the yogurt for desert are specially spectacular :D The atmosphere is so cozy and the waiters are amazing :)

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Checked out Cava for the first time last week and my views are a little mixed, but generally positive. We should have told our server that we are slow eaters because the food was delivered quickly, with some new plates arriving before we were even half-way through the previous course. Partly because it was our first visit, we chose the option of allowing the kitchen to select for us apart from two items from the menu that we wished to have. In the end, we were served a little too much food. Overall, the quality was very good and the service attentive. The wine list is interesting, with a particularly wide selection of sherries. I would recommend exploring the range of sherries as they make a great accompaniment for many of the dishes on the menu. The selection ranges from crisp, dry and even slightly salty Manzanillas to rich and syrupy Pedro Ximinez. Give Cava a trey.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

My son came back form college for weekend and specifically asked that we have dinner with his grandmother at this restaurant. The company has something to do with it, but this was one of the best meals I have had this year and I have been in a lot of places globally where I enjoy going out for meals.
I love the concept of sharing through Tapas. The portions are great for letting you determine where you can sample and order more of same if you are so inclined. On the other hand, there is so much choice that you cannot go wrong trying different things. Their bruschetta is unique-made with edamame, the sea scallops are melt in your mouth, There is an abundant selection of vegetable and meat and seafood dishes. A few of the tapas form the core including a fun starter of caramel popcorn with chipotle that adds a nice kick to it. I love their beef and their fish and tried a tuna that was kind of like a ceviche. Also try their house cured meats and the fantastic pate. And dessert with chocolate souffle with Spanish coffee sauce! I cannot speak highly enough of this restaurant's food.
The clientele were mixes of two couples, families even with young children. Servers are gracious, incredibly helpful and welcoming. Great choice of wine, including in a glass, as one would expect of Cava. All-in-all, a great experience.