“Comfort food and great service”
Review of Fire on the East Side - CLOSED

Fire on the East Side
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Sat outside, quiet and pleasant street. Waitress was delightful, Australian, helpful and great service. The salads were fresh and the meat loaf was large enough to share with 2 people. Both delicious and the Mill st organic lager shandy delicious too.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The restaurant seems to have some great reviews so I decided to take my family there for dinner after a play at the Panasonic Theater to celebrate my sister's birthday. The food is far overpriced, and the service was below par.
Appetizers came barely warm to the table, they served soup without providing a spoon and had to wait for a server to come around to ask for one. Server took my glass away with a quarter of my drink still left in it. We waited well over an hour for our entrees - they had taken our cutlery away and served the entrees again without providing utensils to eat with, some of our mains were even cold. At this time we expressed our disappointment to our server.
The only reason I don't give a lower rating is due to the fact that they did in the end provide us with a free dessert - which was excellent, and gave one of our four entrees for free as well.
Rated as a four star restaurant but has one star service.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great location, great food and great service! Our waiter, Shaun, offered wonderful suggestions. I went with my husband and daughter before a show at the Panasonic Theatre and it got a thumbs up from everyone. My daughter loved the atmosphere. Everyone from staff to other patrons were friendly. I had the meatloaf and it was the best I've ever had (and I've ordered my share of meatloaf - the ultimate winter comfort food!). Looking forward to returning - looks like it would be a great summer brunch spot!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We ate supper at Fire on the East Side last night and once again we were not disappointed. First I must comment on the excellent service provided by our usual server, Scotty. A very professional, courteous and pleasant young man. The food is very good and the ambiance is very intimate and romantic. I look forward to the spring when we can enjoy brunch on their patio.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We are staying at the Courtyard Marriott on Yonge. Suffice it to say, there is a dearth of quality dining experiences in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. We stumbled across Fire on the East Side by pure chance and we are glad we did. A nicely balanced variety of starters, sides and mains and it helps they are vegetarian friendly. More importantly, none of the Pan-Asian influenced dishes that bog down much of the Toronto dining scene. Actually, we were thrilled to find nothing even remotely having an Asian twist on this menu. Their version of mac & cheese was a pleasant starter and went well with the bottle of Rose from a Niagara on the Lake winery. The Rose was a nice start to a decent, well balanced and priced wine list. For dinner, we had the wild rice risotto and the tomato tart. The risotto was interesting in the use of the type of rice, a large deviation from the traditional Arborio. So, not really starchy at all. Actually, a little too soupy. The flavor was fine and the texture different than a typical risotto. The tomato tart was a nice try but it really has to go. It is topped with a tasty but huge portion of arugula salad. The flavor of the tart crust was good but the remainder of the tart became very soggy, very fast. If they keep a vegetarian tart, I recommend something a little more stable and hearty, especially for the winter months. We had a nice French red for dinner. We had the chocolate for dessert and that was tasty and went well with the remaining wine. Service was good and made for a lovely evening. If you are staying in this area, do not expect to find anything better.