“Go here to see and be seen”
Review of Fire on the East Side - CLOSED

Fire on the East Side
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
Ottawa, Canada
“Go here to see and be seen”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Very trendy little bistro with sleek design and even sleeker clientele! The food was superb - brunch was Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon and spinach...... Lovely!

Visited April 2012

Ontario, Canada
“Southern influenced, home-style cooking with a bit of flair”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We dine here a couple of times a year since it is in a convenient location just off Yonge and we are always pleased with the whole dining experience. The atmosphere is quiet and comfortable and the servers are generally pleasant and helpful. They have a good selection of specialty cocktails and reduced pricing from 4:00-7:00 (look for the 'quatre a sept' menu).

We all wanted to try the evening's special salad which sounded very interesting and were not surprised. It was a smoked chicken salad with julienned apple and a dressing that included avocado. Can't remember all the ingredients but it was a refreshing dish with lots of subtle flavours that worked perfectly. In the end, this salad was the highlight of the night ... it was that good!

For mains we all tried something different. I had the Southern Fried chicken which was pretty down-to-earth and served with an extra-tasty gravy. It came with a pretty average mac/cheese. All very good, but not great. My wife had the jambalaya which arrived at the table with a different presentation than I remember but it was very good with a very generous amount of mussels and some tasty wild boar sausage. My son had the stuffed acorn squash which, judging by the way he applied himself to enjoying his meal, was a hit. Cheesecake and a gluten-free chocolate cake for dessert completed the meal.

This restaurant won't necessarily be your finest dining experience but we continue to return because we find that we just settle in, relax and have an all-round good dining experience. We always find the food to be well-prepared, presented and seasoned with
some flair. Every now and then they hit a home run as with the aforementioned salad. Aside from their specialty cocktails they have a short wine list and some select brews on tap and while there are no deals in terms of pricing, they are in line with what others charge.

Dinner for 3 before tip but including one bottle of wine as well as a glass of ice wine came to $180.00.

All things considered, it was a good meal, a good value and a good time!

• Visited February 2012
toronto
“I am not having the chicken this time .....”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Several colleagues decided to head over on a week night just before Christmas. I had never been but a few of us had. On the way over one said" I am not having the fried chicken this time, last time I had it sat like a lump in my stomach". Oddly this did not deter us; we went anyways. Between us we had a pretty wide sampling of the menu. We were, to a person, disappointed. After the chicken warning, I thought ``I`ll be safe and have a burger``. Not a great choice; it was the driest most overcooked burger on cheap white bread I have ever had. If you could eat iphones you`d have left full. And in retrospect I wish I had.

• Visited December 2011
Oshawa, Canada
“Great service, so so food”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Visited for the first time this week with a group of 8. We had a great waiter who was patient, attentive and helpful with food and drink suggestions. It was mojito night so a lot of had them. Best I have ever had and everyone who had one agreed. Appetizers arrived and a couple were good, but others not so much. I had poutine as my main. It was so salty and soggy. We shared 3 desserts between us which were all really delicious. I would like to go again with a smaller group. Most tables were set for 2 so perhaps that is really their strength. At rimes I very much felt our larger group was rather disruptive to all e couples.

toronto
“GREAT ATMOSPHERE FOOD SO SO”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Went there for Sunday Brunch; the place is packed mostly with the YOUNG AND MOBILE! The service is very friendly and good. Unfortunately we waited for the food for a looong time!! Another problem with the food was that it was not hot except the plate and the food was rather bland tasting!!!

• Visited January 2012