“Great Food -- Great Service”
Review of GEORGE Restaurant

GEORGE Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
GEORGE Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 8,947 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Queen and Church
Transit: We are located at 111C Queen Street East, between Church and Jarvis on the south side of Queen. The closest subway stop is Queen. George is about a ten minute walk east from the station.
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I like this place. A lot. The food is excellent, the service convivial, but it's not quite perfect for what the bill is. It's at the top range in terms of cost -- lunch for two was over $200.00 -- so let's get that out of the way. For $200.00, that's about four lunches in lesser boites that still provide excellent food. For $200.00+, I expect excellent food, convivial service, and I expect a top notch dining experience in terms of ambiance, so it should be from end to end, a perfect experience.

it was good. I had a swordfish tataki (very nice), a white lasagna with short rib (excellent) and a bison with spaetzle. My partner had a buttered beef dish, the lasagna, and a wonderful sea bream. So there's nothing to complain about. Service was great, but at the end, there was still the missing elements that would have made it perfect.

We sat just a little too long.

The room is nice -- just not perfect.

So this is all about the money. No dessert. One drink each (modest), and a fair tip, and it was over $200.00.

That's a lot of money.

For that -- it should be end to end perfect.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

George is my top choice for fine dining in Toronto. There are other restaurants with good service (eg. Canoe, Scaramouche) but the food is not nearly as exciting as what you get at George. It is sad that the T.O. press is obsessed with everything new and overlooks George. Shoto the best restaurant in Toronto? Please! George delivers more consistently delicious food and better wine pairings (and from a list with older vintages to draw on) for less money (even if it still costs a fair deal). Oh, and George seats more than 22 people.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

George is an upscale Toronto restaurant with a limited menu but we found the dishes very good. My only criticism is that the individual portions are relatively small so you get the benefit of being able to order 3 different dishes, which makes the meal expensive compared to many other establishments. The service was outstanding and the wine list is varied. I ordered the beef, which was done with lots of pink inside and the sides were most unusual and delicious. Others in my party ordered the halibut which was excellent. The atmosphere was young/lively but not over the top, and I say with confidence that a good time was had by everyone in my group. I also understand that the patio is outstanding but since it is December in Toronto, that was not an option

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of dining at George recently. We tried the tasting menu and the flight of wines to go with. We did not regret it. Every course was so perfectly balanced and delicious, while the wines just topped it all of. We were impressed with the service at the restaurant, and the attention to detail. We loved the experience at George and we are so thankful that we decided to dine there while on a short trip to Toronto. We definitely would put it in our top 5 picks of restaurants we have dined around the globe. While it may be pricey for some, it is an experience, you will not want to miss.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Top notch food and service at this first class restaurant in Toronto. My husband and I enjoyed the 5 course tasting menu with the accompanying "flight of wines". What was extra special about this tasting menu is that each diner received different courses - so in essence you had 10 different plates to taste from. The portions were just right. Some of the dishes were "art". The elk main course was spectacular as was the foie gras. Leave room for a delicious cheese plate and a dessert course. The wines were also different for both of us. We came away very satisfied. Dinner for two with flight of wines will cost you $400 (plus a tip) so save this for a special occasion. This restaurant reminds me of the now defunct Lumiere in Vancouver. We will definitely go back the next time we are in Toronto!