“Wow!”
Review of GEORGE Restaurant

GEORGE Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
GEORGE Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 8,898 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Queen and Church
Transit: We are located at 111C Queen Street East, between Church and Jarvis on the south side of Queen. The closest subway stop is Queen. George is about a ten minute walk east from the station.
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Four friends, all with different tastes and preferences, really enjoyed dinner at George.
A la carte choices offered a good variety to satisfy, and our server suggested that we indicate our food preferences and they would tailor the dishes accordingly.
Food was dynamite. Between the four of us, we tried about half the menu and everyone was very happy. Food tries to focus on seasonal, local produce and proteins, and the menu was well executed.
Sommelier was extremely helpful. We asked him to select a bottle, and his recommendation was modestly priced...not one of the many premium and higher priced vintages available. The wine was fantastic and paired perfectly with our food choices..
Restaurant is unpretentious, and just noisy enough to convey a fun energy.
Only drawback is the price ($$$$). If it was a little less expensive, I'd go every night.

1  Thank Erin K

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Chic place in east downtown. Atmosphere is pleasant, not pretentious. Chef visits almost every table to explain menu items. Highlight for me was the beignet for dessert of all things.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The positive: service-very good, sommelier -excellent, washroom - chic, noise- acceptable, food choices-for every taste.
The negative: food presentation- overly fussy, food taste- gamut from bland to simply not pleasing to the palate, desserts-plebeian for this price and type of restaurant
Unacceptable: one member of our party of 8 asked for no salt due to health reasons- all dishes served overly salty. No excuses offered even though mentioned right away, no offer to exchange dish.
Price: charging $25.00 before tax and tip for 2 (two) scalops, even though nicely plated, is an excess.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Don't go unless you are prepared to pay a minimum £75- £100 per head but, boy, what fantastic food, great service and warm, comfortable ambience. The Sommelier is something else - European, heavily accented, unquestionably knowledgeable but so detached to make me think I was being advised on sauvignon blanc by a member of the National Socialist Party - terrific fun. Portions are very nouveau cuisine but the flavours are out of this world, especially my first course of cobia sashimi which was just superb and the thirds (I missed out the seconds) of halibut was as good a fish as I've had anywhere in UK, including the old Bentley's in Swallow Street which was my standard for great fish. I'm married to a chef and have such fabulous food at home I find myself thinking it's silly to go out and pay £80 for dinner of just two courses and wine but I am actually very happy that I went to George; a great experience in place that oozes class.

1  Thank daveyex
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Lorenzo Loseto and his culinary team are amazing. We have always had the tasting menu and have been there on numerous occasions and I have to say the best seat in the house are the two tables closest to the kitchen especially for the guests we have invited. The chef has always made a point of coming to discuss his menu or just to say hello. I would go as far as to say this is one of the best restaurants in Canada and it just keeps on getting better. Have the cheese plate especially the Cendrillon and if you can order the beignets for dessert have that as well. The ambiance is always special. The minute you walk in you are treated in a very friendly yet professional manner. Great staff and delicious food. Keep up the good work team.