“Another excellent vegetarian place in Toronto”
Review of Le Commensal - CLOSED

Le Commensal
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was my first experience of eating at a place where you pay by weight of your food that you can choose from a wide range of foods. ALL carefully labled as for Vegetarians, vegans, and various foods that might be bad for some people with allergies, AND they had vegan Icecream too :)
I was there in Sept 2006, as part of my round the world trip, and my book is soon to be published, and this place will be mentioned

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have been to Le Commensal many times and it's a "sure thing" eating spot for me in Toronto. The food is always great, there's always lots of variety, and I always have a good experience there. It's vegetarian, and yummy - who can go wrong there?!
The only note I will add is that it's not cheap/ inexpensive. It's a self-serve set up and the food is priced by weight. For the food and quality you get, I'm okay with the prices. However iI find that t's more than what I would pay at an all-you-can eat buffet and many woudl find the prices expensive. For two people, we typically spend between 40 and 50 for both of us, and although we are hearty eaters, we don't have drinks or dessert.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I am not really vegetarian but took advantage of a deal to eat a lunch at Commensal.
Like the idea of paying for what you take and have the choice on the food i put on my plate.
Didnt know what one kg of salad would be... not a lot.
The cold side was ok but the hot side was cold. I didnt find the food tasty at all and it is normally what i find interesting in vegetarian food.
The service was not great, the restaurant empty and dark.
Wont go back and will stay close to indian bazaar when i want vegies.

1  Thank christophe l
Reviewed August 27, 2012

It's wonderful to know the food is all vegetarian & made with thoughtful ingredients, it is absolutely delicious. The staff are adequate with a teensy bit of attitude & the ambience is negligible but the food, oh the food! Very expensive though. Would give it 3 1/2 stars if I could.

1  Thank miriam H
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Everything on the hot buffet line was cold to warm at best. A simple misunderstanding on our part resulted in us being charged an extra $10 because my wife and I made the mistake of putting our "hot" food on a seperate plate from our salad. The guy managing was rude and confrontational when I asked about the charge. He upset me and my wife and pretty much turned our last afternoon in Toronto into a bad experience.

1  Thank houseoftoast