“Superb”

Cross street: Euclid
Edmonton
“Superb”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I make a point of eating here when in Toronto. We even took our 4 yr old grandson one lunchtime. He behaved well & the staff made a real fuss of him. We have also eaten there with Iranian friends in the evening.
The food is first class, fresh, mainly organic and very very tasty.
If you happen to be on Queen St W between Niagara & Tecumseh streets I would thoroughly recommend a visit.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Nuala871

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“magnificent kebob and services”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was advised by one of my colleagues from Boston to go to banu when I come to Toronto to visit my family. I went there with my friend. The Hostess was very friendly . I ordered olive pomegranate walnut for appetizer which still I am thinking of it and my mouth watering, medium rare tenderloin kebob for dinner it was the best medium rare meat I ever had. My friend ordered grilled eggplant with tomato which was so delicious and for main she had tiger shrimp which was the size of lobster tail and so well cooked. I forgot our drink, something pink for me and emerald for my friend which was absolutely heavenly delicious and fresh . The service was excellent and we had nice chat with owners about The city of Boston and Toronto. Thanks Banu for a wonderful evening . I will come for sure next time when I am in Toronto.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank evitaa1975
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Worst Restaurant Experience I've Ever Had”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My best friend and I have been on a quest lately, for new hangouts, new cuisine, and even more specifically, trying shisha at many different places. We stumbled across Banu through online reviews.

We wish we listened to the negative reviews.

Upon entering Banu, we were "greeted" by a young man at the door. He seemed polite enough, even took our coats, but he didn't seem that warm, compared to staff from other places we've visited. What truly defined our poor visit was the waitress who then attended to us for the evening.

We weren't in the mood for food at the moment, and only wanted to drink and puff on some shisha. When we told her we were not going to order any food (at the moment), her demeanor changed towards us and she became VERY cold, hastily snatching the menus away from us.

My friend and I were appalled at the cost of the hookah: $21 for one flavor and only ONE coal. Other places we've visited gave us three, even FOUR coals, and charged us at half the price!

Turned off by our waitress' attitude towards us, we wound up not ordering any food. As a vegetarian, I found the choices on the menu to be sparse... Putting a little faith into the reviews I read online about the small portions and hefty prices, I decided ultimately to not order anything, even dessert.

Not even an hour into our hookah, the smoke began to feel coarse at the back of our throats. We would have ordered another coal, and even some dessert, but our waitress, correction, all staff, only seemed to be happy to serve other customers who ordered the "whole she-bang" of food and expensive wine.

When the time came for us to pay, my one Stella Artois, my friend's one mixed drink, and our hookah with one measly coal cost us about $50. My friend decided she would pay with her credit card. Here's the kicker: the machine would NOT allow her to choose how much gratuities to pay; it was fixed to 20%. We were only a party of two, in a not-so-busy time of day, didn't order much, AND got terrible service! There is NO WAY our experience at Banu deserved a 20% tip!

We felt like the staff wanted us gone the entire duration of our stay. The interior decor may have been sleek and trendy, but the staff were not hospitable. My friend and I are not "cheap" diners; we have hearty appetites and are quite generous when it comes to tipping our servers.

That was an experience I will NEVER forget, and I will tell my friends if they are looking for a positive dining experience, to take their money elsewhere.

• Visited February 2013
7 Thank Michelle A
Toronto
“Love this place!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I went there with a group of friend. I absolutely loved their menu and food! Great service. Nice staff. Great music and cozy. I loved the Persian food and dessert.
everything we ordered turned out to be fantastic!!
Try it! You won't regret.

• Visited February 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“some really good, some bad, some so-so”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I went to Banu today for the $15 Winterlicious lunch. I had been wanting to try Persian food for a while so this was a good opportunity to do that! For an appetizer, I had the eggplant (Mirza Ghasemi) which I didn't really like. The eggplant is "smoked" and it turns out that it tastes kind of like it was blow torched - not to my taste! (even though I am generally a big fan of eggplant). Maybe it's an acquired taste. On the plus side, it came with really nice little flat breads which were very good. As a main, I got the Koobideh - this was very tasty. I loved the meat, and also the sides that came with it. yummy! As a dessert, I got the Saffron ice cream - it was pretty good, but not amazing. A bit too strong tasting and sweet - but still good enough that it was worth finishing it! If I went back, I would probably try my luck with another dessert! Anyways, for $15 for a 3 course lunch it was overall good.

• Visited January 2013