“dreaming of pierogies”

Neighborhood: West End
Canada
“dreaming of pierogies”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

When here last Friday after seeing this place on Food Network's "You Gotta Eat Here!" Made reservations but it wasn't necessary when we got there, there were plenty of tables and we were told to sit anywhere we wanted. The place has a very calm atmosphere and although this restaurant has a long history the interior is very modern and clean. I wanted to try everything especially the pierogies which I'm not a huge food aficionado but they were by far the best potato and cheddar pierogies I've ever eaten ever, I especially loved the compliment of the onions, sooo good. I refrained from getting them fried which I think was the definitely the right decision, boiled is the authentic way and I think frying them would just ruin them. The portions are HUGE, I barely finished 1/4 of my main and had to take the rest to go. The service was a tad slow but waitresses were incredibly friendly and welcoming when we were able to catch one. Overall, I would definitely go back just for those pierogies. The cabbage roll was very tasty as well.

• Visited May 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
toronto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“service not that good anymore”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I am Polish and go to Polonez quite often and was there today. Have to say service went down big time. It was second time that I went there by myself ( usualy go with boyfriend or friend and family) and huge difference how they serve you. was there once before by myself, and felt like I didn't exist, slow service, they moved me twice as they wanted me to take smaller table. Today again, 3 waitresses running around ( although not that busy and plenty of tables were free), made comments to me that I can't sit at the table for 4 ( just a note that smaller tables are located in odd spaces like next to kitchen....... not really paying attention to me as well....Finally, I have decided to take my food " to go" since atmosphere not that friendly....while paying left the tip anyway , after that I realized that waitress made mistake and gave me $5.00 less, but then she was gone and another girl at the bar wasn't that attentive and mentioned my waitress was already gone in the kitchen. Not wanting to stay there anylonger and $5.00 is not a big deal, I just left. Although food is good, I think I will stop going there and will stop bringing my friends and family there. Plenty of new places in Roces to go to now. Service needs improvement big time.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank niunia
Toronto, Canada
“Great Polish and European food”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

An excellent family owned European/ Polish restaurant on Roncesvalles Avenue in Toronto's West end. Cabbage rolls, Schnitzel, dumplings and many other dishes are all excellent, prepared to perfection, a taste of Mama's kitchen. The platter for 2 and the platter for 4 are generous and delicious We loved the Polish beer. Dinner for 4 including wine, beer and dessert was about $90 including tax, service was great..

• Visited April 2012
Kingston, Canada
“Great food but mediocre service”
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I only visited this restaurant once and loved the food, of course, being of Polish descent. My sister and I were there for a late lunch, so the restaurant was almost empty, but unfortunately our server was not very attentive and spent a lot of time talking to a patron at the opposite end of the restaurant. We actually had to hail another staff member who came out of the kitchen to ask for something. The meal was excellent and a good value. I will definitely go there again if/when in Toronto.

• Visited November 2011
canada
“Tasty, Filling, and Cheap!”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Tastes like Mom's home cooking would be if I was Polish. Most patrons are in fact Polish, which testifies to its authentic cooking.

If you think pierogies are just pastry filled with potatoes and cheese, think again. They have meat, cabbage & mushroom, and even fruit-filled ones.

But our favourite dish is always the Hunter Stew served in a potato pancake. It's served with a 'bouquet of salads', namely, carrots, cabbage, and beets. This can easily feed two people.

Go on Thursday to taste their best soup (in my opinion): potato and dill. It's filling, cheap, and all food comes with accompanying rye bread, so you won't go home hungry.

• Visited February 2012