“A delightful little place”
Review of Global Guest House

Global Guest House
Ranked #69 of 119 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2012

This place was a pleasant surprise. The staff were lovely and helpful, the rooms were nice and tidy. It was a really pleasant no frills guest house.
The free wifi was fast and reliable and the beds were comfy.
The location was good although it was a little too close to Spadina station and any light sleepers might struggle with the sound of the buses until late but we had no problems.
Not for everyone I imagine but it's good for the price and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jaaam

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Not recommended if you suffer from a dust allergy. Extreemly handy for the Spadina metro/streetcar/bus interchange. Best feature is the wonderfully comfortable squashy sofa in my room but I understand the rooms are to be renovated so I expect this will go then. Yhe kitchen is useful for stretching budgets.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Pam635836
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Very Faulty towers feel, the decor is tacky and old, the facilities under appointed and many non functional, but the utterly filthy kitchen and bathroom (hairs, built up soap scum, shower didn't work, unwashed utensils, unhygienic dual use of sink for chemical use and dishes - in a cupboard!! And dust filled room with litter under the bed and hairy blood stained top duvet with no under blanket and lumpy pillows.) Internet is slow, we were misquoted the price of the room then had to debate the new price, and everything smelled mouldy and damp. I had a better stay in a hostel right on Hastings street, Vancouver.. And until today, that was my worst stay ever. The location is GREAT but you couldn't PAY ME to stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the guest house. For an older building, it was quite well maintained. The service I experienced was very good. The staff was friendly and helpful.
My room was large and comfortable. I had to share a bath, which was clean and tidy.
The location was `great`. Close to the subway, UofT, Museum, shopping and lots of restaurants!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Cheap and nice guest house in the nicest area of Toronto. The location is perfect right next to Spadina Subway Station, which makes getting around and getting to and from the airport very easy. Very friendly and helpful staff. Has air conditioning, which you will need in the summer. I recommend paying the extra 10 CAD to have one of the rooms with a private bathroom. Those rooms are extra nice and still not expensive. A plus for the nice art in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Despite the ideal location in the Annex and steps from Bloor Street West; despite the very nice over worked staff.. DO NOT STAY HERE!
I had booked online from the UK and was required really to stay for the week. I had been quoted a very cheap rate, (that would still have been expensive taking it all into consideration!), which they tried to increase. I didn't pay anymore than the quoted price. Apparently the third party website made errors in regards to the rates..sorry, not my problem!
First room we stayed in was smelly and dirty; thick fluff and dust on the light shade, dirty room. The shared bathroom on that floor was revolting, really filthy. The bathrooms on the floor below were not much better. Thick dust on mouldy draped fabric serving as a makeshift curtain at one bathroom window; unhygenic fluffy toilet seat covers, just didn't bear thinking about. Moved to a room with a private bathroom. This was cleaner but still smelt very strange. No duvet, just a unwashed, aged, bobbly comforter and sheet. We used almost a whole bottle of anti-bacterial febreze! Say no more.
We were over for job interviews, etc, so were on a tight budget. We should have left, but it almost became easier to get on with it, as our days were full without having to look for CLEAN affordable accommodation. I would say YUK to the Global Guesthouse. The owners need to start again: new decor, new carpets, new bathrooms, new furniture, new beds, new bedlinen, DUVETS and PAID cleaning staff!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Bombellina
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I stayed 2 weeks at the Global Guest House and I had an overall positive experience. The location can't be better: if you like to walk, don't get a pass because you won't need it, but if you're kinda lazy, Spadina station is right next door=2 subway lines + the most frequent street car line + buses. I stayed in 2 different rooms and both were clean, comfortable, quiet and had nice beds. The shared bathrooms were also clean and I never had to wait to take a shower or use the toilet. Norman and the stuff were all VERY nice and friendly. I'm surprised to find some reviews that say they were rude. This is not a 5 star hotel and you can't expect certain things. I'm giving service 2/5 just because it is basic, not because it is bad. If you're the needy kind that calls the front desk every 5 minutes, you shouln't stay here. The main things I didn't like are: the "clean after yourself" policy in the kitchen doesn't really work, some guest don't put a lot of enthusiasm washing and you are likely to find dirty dishes/glasses in the cabinets. The sink is ridiculously small so maybe that's why people have troubles dishwashing. The internet was a lil unstable, sometimes worked just fine, sometimes was frustrating, I know they were having problems with the routers but Norman has to fix that ASAP. I would definitely recommend this place, I think that for the price you pay you won't get anything better at such convenient location. It's by no means my first time in Toronto and I never found a better deal so far.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business