“Not our cup of tea”

Vincent's Spot
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Scarborough
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Many people have been going there for years and I mean years. So we gave it a try, decor is dark and gloomy. The food is heavy, limited and very outdated. Service was friendly but we wouldn't go back...I doubt the menu has changed in the last 25 years..

1  Thank knmebh

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Wow I had been told to go here by a friend who had long time lived in that neighborhood. To be honest, I was a bit "afraid". From the outside, so dark, no facade and I had to take his word for it?!?!? We made a point of looking for these odd places as we drove Kingston Rd every two weeks, and this was no exception. I looked in the window,... the only window,... and saw a few people there, of course the window table taken asI would have felt safer there....it can't be that bad especially when the place looked very native to the food and ity looked like the natives were eating there,...I guessed it was supposed to be,..Greek? or Italian?? Old wine bottles and paintings as decor, some oriental plates and photos,....If the natives eat there then it must be good right? Any minute I expected someone would come in and start something,....go to the back room maybe and exchange some words or gunfire,......a scene from a Coppola movie. With only 8 or 10 tables there was no problem getting a seat on a Friday night. The hostess was very friendly,.... family like,...... and so was the waitress. The decor, very dark, old and mish mashed, and the menu itself was even older. An original menu alll right, ...maybe from when this first opened 35 years ago? Water stained, worn covered in plastic, possibly 10 things on the menu with frog legs as an extra? Weird eh? All of the menu consisted of was Veal a few ways, chicken a few ways, and steak stuff with one appy being frog legs? The rest of the menu told you of their Veal specialty with a cream wine and mushroom sauce and that all dinners came with a ceaser salad, a clam appy, coffee dessert and garlic bread. It did smell great in there as we of how dank it seemed! We dove in and I ordered the specialty,..the garlic bread came and I yearned for more,..it was amazing!! The house red felt like an old time "mediterranean " red, I could have drank a gallon, but I was too interested in the next course,....oddly wondering what that "mound" of something was in a baked light brown color was coming to the other patrons. Finally it came, clam fritter, quahog,..whatever it was called I dove in and again wanted more,..spicy, breading, clams,..... I wanted another but scared to ask for another and did not think I would get one. Next, the specialty,.... loaded, stuffed with mushroom/ white wine goodness,.... pefectly cooked broccoli and one big roasted potato? Still a bit odd,..I expected a pasta but nevermind, it looked and smelled great! I ate way too much,...I ate way too much of my partner's veal parm too,...I was a pig,...... The dessert was no heck,...a bit of vanilla cake layered with cream between,..I didn't care,....give me more stuffed anything from the kitchen! What is the moral of the story? Not sure,..... good food can be found anywhere,...maybe you have to take some risks. $75 for a full blown meal. Was it absolutely amazing? I am not sure but it was filling, great staff, relaxing not loud, amusing, tasted great at the moment and as the old article on the wall from some newspaper forever ago said in it's headline,.. "Vincents's hits the Spot" and it did.

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

After seeing the high ratings, we decided to try this restaurant because it is not very far from where we live. Everything about it was extremely dated and all of the entrees came with the exact same appetizers (that we believe they've been making since the day the place opened). The entrees were soggy and bland and the included dessert was very dry and flavourless. We hardly touched our food but pretended that we were full and asked to take it to go so that we could dispose of it at home. We would never eat there again. This place is in desparate need of a restaurant makeover in every sense of the word!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

A friend brought me here for dinner tonight. What a pleasant surprise this pretty little restaurant was. The neighborhood was not pretty but when the door opened and we stepped inside it was absolutely delightful. Ambiance, lovely decor, excellent service , very good food and quiet atmosphere--this restaurant had it all!

They brought a basket of fragrant hot garlic bread to the table immediately, followed by a very tasty duchess potato appetizer and then a Caesar salad which was nice and garlicky but could have used a little more tang.

My entree was a veal dish smothered in a wine cream sauce and mushrooms. My veal was tender and the sauce was rich. The vegetables, broccoli and a small roast potato, were cooked to perfection.

My friend ordered a beef steak which came about 1 1/2 in thick and was charred nicely on the outside. Cooked as he ordered, well done, which I thought would surely make it dry and tough, but he offered me a piece and it still had a hint of pink and was tender and juicy.

Desert was a rum soaked custard sponge cake--light and pleasant.

Both meals were under $25 and included bread, appetizer, salad, desert and coffee or tea. Excellent value. We enjoyed our meal and our conversation too in this quiet and pleasant restaurant. What a treat!

4  Thank heathercheryl
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at how quaint the restaurant is from the authentic music, real silver cutlery and china to the superb excellent home cooked food to the excellent price and value. I will definitely return to your "SPOT" A true Gem!

4  Thank jen739