“Amazing Vegan fare!”

Ranked #169 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed April 8, 2013

You'll be hard pressed to find a better meal in Toronto that more closely resembles the fine attention to cuisine as an art and craft, like what you'd expect in some of the finer choices of Paris or provencal France. Every dish here is carefully put together, an incredible medley of flavours and aroma's, and the meal is around an experience of food - not just fast and cheap filler. What a delight!

1  Thank JulianBolster-World
There are newer reviews for Vegetarian Haven

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I will gladly admit that I am a carnivore and absolutely love meat…no meal is complete without the addition of meat and usually (and quite unhealthily) I tend to have more meat than anything else on my plate. Hey it’s protein right?

On arrival we were greeted and the Little Monkey was given a booster chair which was perfect for her (she was about 11 months at the time). As most of us skeptically perused through the menu, we soon realized that everything actually sounded delicious….

While we (skeptically) awaited our food, we ordered some fun smoothies- Matcha Green Tea and Cookies and Cream. I love tofu drumsticks… ever since I discovered them years ago at Kings Cafe in Kensington, any chance I get I devour my way through this chicken-wannabe dish and the Vegetarian Haven one was just as delicious. We also sampled their ”King Prawn” & Oyster Mushroom Tempura- no there were no real prawns in here, it is a vegan spot after all. Instead the ‘prawn’ was made with konnyaku root flour and to be honest – I could have been fooled. There was no fishy taste but the texture was definitely bang on!

I’m glad we didn’t order too many appetizers because the portions were huge! I had the Spicy Coconut Curry ‘Seafood’ Souper Bowl which was indeed spicy. Loved it! Perfect fusion of East Asian flavours. The hubs got the Spicy Bali Stir-fried Rice Noodles and my mom got the ‘Seafood’ in Clay Pot. Every dish pleasantly surprised us and to be honest, us meat lovers did not miss the absence of meat on our plates.

The service was friendly, they were a bit busy so we had to wait around (which was fine for us) and we did have the mishap of a server tossing a tissue she brought from another table into my brother’s half eaten dish (which he fully intended to pack up and they applogized) but other than that, they were attentive and ensured that the Little Monkey was well taken care off. The spot is a bit narrow but they were able to store our heavy duty stroller at the back for us without any issues. I for one will definitely be back and writing this post has me craving some good old vegan food. Hah! Did I just say that? Don’t worry.. it’s a really nice spot and not the crazy hippie cafe I was initially expecting!

1  Thank YasHKinZ
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were at the Vegetarian Haven a year ago and the food was delicious! We tried the tofu drumsticks and bird's nest seitan noodles, and have been wanting to go back since. The atmosphere is very romantic and cozy, especially at night, when they have the candles lit and the place is filled with people. It is definitely not a place for only vegetarians, it's one of the best vegetarian restaurants in the city and would please carnivores and omnivores alike! The service is also great!

1  Thank Ash M
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had lunch today at the Vegetarian Haven (Feb. 12/13) with my friend, Janet. I also had lunch with another friend two weeks ago. Both times, the food was outstanding. Today I had curry pad thai with a delicious beet and ginger drink. In January, I had a huge kale salad with avocado, with a coconut butternut squash soup to start. It's a popular spot - lots of young people (students, office workers). Both times, I made reservations. (glad I did - it's very busy!).
The servers (Renee, Shannon) were really friendly and helpful. The restaurant has a very happy, energised vibe - I think this is my new favorite place! There seems to be room for outdoor tables in the nicer weather - not sure, as this is just after Toronto's huge snow storm!
They display their specials on a table in the front of the restaurant - helpful, if you're not sure what to have!
I think I'll keep going back and eat my way through the entire menu!

1  Thank TorontoHiker
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I went here for lunch with a friend one weekday and she had the morroccan wrap where I had the chef's special of the day. We finished with sharing the apple fritters with vanilla tofu ice cream.

The staff there are very friendly and helpful, I would plan an hour and a half for lunch as everything is made to order so it takes a bit longer.

My husband and I (we are both newly vegan) are planning to return for dinner.

I'm so glad there is a fabulous vegan restaurant in Toronto!