“Stepping back in time”

Ranked #628 of 8,996 Restaurants in Toronto
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: North York
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I frequently visit Toronto on business and recently met a business colleague who lives in the Bathurst/Lawrence area who suggested we meet for breakfast at the United Bakers Dairy. My friend informed me that United Bakers has a meat-free menu and is always busy, with people often lining up at the door to get in. Prices are low. The staff look to be long-timers who deliver fairly efficient service but have not bothered to acquire the Starbucks attitude of today (I don't mean this as a criticism). The food was hot and fresh. Visiting United Bakers was like going back to a simpler time and I much enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

Toronto is one of my favorite cities, and breakfast or lunch at United Bakers is a must on every visit. During my most recent trip to Ontario I went about 25 miles out of the way on the homeward-bound journey just to have lunch here.

United Bakers dates back almost 100 years and is still run by the family that founded it. It moved uptown from its original location following the Jewish community in 1986, but the meat-free menu is pretty much unchanged and the food is excellent.

There are hearty vegetarian soups, two different varieties served daily. I highly recommend the thick and slightly peppery pea soup. Get a scoop of egg or tuna salad for lunch and order a toasted bagel to put it on. Share a dish of potato pancakes served with sour cream and applesauce. All that will cost you around $35 before tip and you won't leave hungry.

I like the pea soup so much that I got two one liter containers from the takeout counter to bring home so I can have a taste of Toronto from my freezer sometime soon.

One memory from a previous visit long ago... When my oldest daughter was about 4 we had dinner at United Bakers. In the middle of dinner Shana broke out in a spontaneous song, a melody she had learned in her Hebrew nursery school class a few months earlier. Much to her surprise (and ours) the older gentleman dining alone at the next table began singing along -- an incredible moment of connection between a 4-year-old and an elderly stranger. We struck up a conversation over dinner and learned much about Jewish life in Toronto over the years. That moment made both our night and his night special. I don't think it could have happened anyplace but United Bakers.

2  Thank thirdshf
Reviewed September 30, 2010

A bit of a rushed atmosphere even for a diner style place. Simple menu and food usually tastes fine.

Reviewed August 1, 2009

always bustling. super yummy pea soup, latkes and bagels. friendly service. home cooking taste in an old-school diner atmosphere