“excellent dosas”

Udupi Palace
Ranked #1,315 of 8,439 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: East End
Description: Authentic Indian Vegetarian cuisine specialised in South Indian vegetarian, vegan, Jain cuisines
Vancouver, Canada
“excellent dosas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Visited the Udupi Palace late on a friday night, just before closing with my wife and another couple. The staff were attentive, friendly and accommodating, especially given that the kitchen was about to close. Great idlies and even better doss. Sambhar was great. Authentic Indian atmosphere. Inexpensive and healthful. Will definitely make a return trip on my next visit to Toronto.

• Visited July 2012

“Gone down in quality, sad to say.....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I ordered the Mysore masala dosa and the thali.
The dosa was substandard and only 2 dishes from the thali were o.k-ish...
Very dissappointing, not sure if their chef has changed etc, really sad...

• Visited March 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Best South Indian food in Toronto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I eat here as often as I can manage because it's never disappointing. We went to South India last year, and I feel like this food is as good as the top restaurants there.
The restaurant is super clean, affordable, with friendly and fast service.
The atmosphere isn't romantic, definitely family-kid friendly and lots of space.

We always get the appetizer platter which includes a mixture of all the goodies like pakuras, vada, idli, etc.
The thali is consistently awesome.
Last night I tried the paper masala dosa and it was exactly as I remembered.
My partner always orders the uttapam and says it is great.

There are a lot of restaurants to choose from in Toronto's Little India, but to be honest I've never ventured away from Udupi Palace.

• Visited February 2012
6 Thank Maaskant23
Whitby, Canada
“Excellent vegetarian restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

We shop for Indian groceries on Gerrard Street monthly, and almost always go to Udupi for lunch or dinner. As others have said, the decor is basic and hardly intimate, however the reason we go there is for the fantastic food. On this visit I had the chili cheese dosa and Manchurian idli...both are variations on traditional South Indian dishes, and they were delicious. All the other dishes that I've eaten during previous visits have also been very good. I love my meat and fish, but certainly don't miss them when dining at Udupi. Cheers to the Demelos for a first class establishment !!

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank FlyAtNIght
Toronto, Canada
“Udupi Palace is a garden of delights for the South Indian vegetarian foodlover.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

I've said this to so many people by now. Udupi Palace is the real deal. Udupi food made in a restaurant run by a Mangalorean family. The uttapams are perfect. The masala rava dosas are a crisp crunchy bite of spicy urad dal heaven. The thali meal is probably the best value in town for the vegetarian gourmand. And then I love the walk they've taken on the wild side - vegetarian Indian Chinese Udupi style, with Idli Manchurian and Schezwan Kotfa. But the crowning glory has to be their unique Tokri Chaat. Imagine poutine married to bhelpuri. Well, this is their beautiful, brilliant child. Go and tell Hubert (the owner) that Gavin sent you. Other favourites of mine: upma, poori bhaji, pav bhaji. I am an unabashed carnivore but when I need my udupi fix, this is my pusher of choice.

• Visited September 2011