“Didn't Pay so It was AMAZING!”

SOTTO SOTTO Ristorante
Ranked #121 of 9,071 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Using only the freshest ingredients Sotto Sotto offers a considerable menu of simple classics and traditional creations. To start there is an abundance of wonderful salads and antipasti. Pastas are available as a second or main course dish. Main courses feature veal, beef, seafood and poultry and there are also "risotto for two" options. We also serve delicious gelati and desserts including homemade tiramisu made in the time honoured traditional style of the Rocca family.
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My brother took me here for my birthday and it was fabulous - at those prices it had to be. Very crowded and uncomfortable but it is the "the" place to be seen so I was seen..... LOL

I had eaten there once before with mixed reviews - but this time was excellent - and I didn't have to pay so BONUS!!!!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Found this restaurant on Yelp, it turned out a success! Real and delicious Italian food. I had the veal with walnut and the chocolate cake, both very good. You can taste the different flavors.
It is very crowded and can be noisy. Just make sure the reserve a table in advance.

Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We ventured to Sotto Sotto on our 25th Anniversary last night looking for love,
but sadly found not much of it.
We love Italian food, have eaten at some wonderful places in the GTA, and with
Sotto Sotto’s reputation as a premier dining locale, hopes were high.
Things started poorly right off the bat with a basket of stale bread
and a $13.00 glass of table wine, 6oz. Yikes!
One comes here knowing it’s not the Olive Garden, and that costs are high. I have
No issue with that if it provides the experience to go along with the rates….nope!
Appetizers….I had the grilled sardines, a Sotto Sotto signature dish, my wife the
clams in Pinot Grigio Garlic sauce, another signature item. The sardines, wonderful.
The clams forgettable. Tough, overcooked, highly unseasoned, and as bland as bland can get.
Bowing to the huge cost of things, we opted for pasta dishes as mains. In fairness here, their fish dishes, all grilled really did look very nice, but $65.00 for grilled branzino with a side of greens was unjustifiable. I had the Putanesca, my wife the Carbonara.
For the value, these were on par with food court Italian. Flavourless, unseasoned, poorly cooked pasta
…and sauce that absolutely did not taste like it was from scratch. We switched halfway
through, unfortunately her dish as poor as mine. One more $9.00 bottle of beer and we were done.
Service? The treatment is kind of like “hey, you’re at Sotto Sotto, feel lucky” We didn’t.
When we asked if we could order apps first, and mains a little later, the answer was “it might confuse the kitchen”…really?
Overall, for the money and quality, I cannot recommend this place. Drastically over-priced,
a “hey don’t you know how famous we are” level of service, and dishes that make me
wonder if everything is really being prepared fresh. If it is, it didn’t taste like it.
I think we’ll stick to the marvellous places in Woodbridge, like my sisters place, Zafferono’s, Marcello’s, and so on.
3/10 Is as generous as I can be for Sotto Sotto. 10/10 for the famous faces on the walls….

1  Thank BJakovina
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I go to Sotto Sotto about 5-6 times a year, mostly with vendors through work as an I.T. executive (convenient to my office). However, I will never ever set foot in Sotto Sotto again after the treatment I received yesterday and encourage anyone and everyone to do the same.

My cousin from Australia, who I see about once every 5 years, is passing through Toronto for a couple of nights so we made plans to have family dinner (6 adults) on the one night we could make work (Mon, Nov. 5). Knowing he likes Italian food, I thought of Sotto Sotto – the food is generally good and I like the warm, cozy atmosphere. Some things can be annoying (i.e. waiting an hour in line on a Sat despite having a reservation) but our plans were on a Mon so didn’t think there would be issues.

In late September, I checked OpenTable and saw nothing available so called the restaurant directly – was told there is a private party that had booked the entire restaurant so nothing was available. The hostess said she’d check to confirm and call me back ‘tomorrow’. Oh well. So we began looking at other options – Scarpetta, Aria, Buca, etc.

A few days later, on a whim (had not heard back from the hostess), I checked Sotto Sotto again on OpenTable and a table for 6 was available at 7 p.m. – so I made a reservation. Coincidentally, I got a call the next day from the hostess saying a table was available because of changes to the private party. I let her know we’d already booked…

Here’s where the unbelievably crappy experience starts – on Sun, Nov. 4 at 3:19 p.m. (yes, one day before our reservation), I get a call from the hostess telling me that the private party has ‘grown’ and they would be happy to move us to their ‘other restaurant’ or to ‘reschedule for another night’. Needless to say I lost it. Clearly Sotto Sotto had a large booking and, when the large booking either wavered or shrank, they needed to fill their restaurant so accepted reservations from people like me. And then when the large booking got bigger again they figured they could just cheerfully call and bounce my table of 6 with almost no notice and leave us scrambling to make alternate plans. I eat out at fine restaurants a lot and have never been jerked around like this before.

Well, Sotto Sotto has now lost all my future business – my personal dining, all my business dining, and anyone else I can convince to never go there (e.g. business colleagues). I suspect their arrogance stems from a belief that customers will keep coming regardless so don’t give a damn about people like me. I for one won’t put up with it – there are too many other superior restaurants in Toronto that know how to treat their clientele well (e.g. Scaramouche, any of the McEwan restaurants).

1  Thank satkin02
Reviewed October 27, 2012

First time we have been disappointed.I started off with the tender octopus which turned out to be tough.My wife and I come specifically for the Pappardelle with porcini mushrooms...the mushrooms were dry and the pasta was too al diente.We were not happy,however our friends were very happy with their meals,perhaps a sous chef had a bad day.
The restaurant was very busy as alway so you need some patience with the service.The atmosphere and ambiance are great!You really feel you are in Italy and you may find yourself sitting next to a movie star.Make your reservation early!