“Unbelievably poor treatment.”

Ranked #190 of 8,519 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Using only the freshest ingredients Sotto Sotto offers a considerable menu of simple classics and traditional creations. To start there is an abundance of wonderful salads and antipasti. Pastas are available as a second or main course dish. Main courses feature veal, beef, seafood and poultry and there are also "risotto for two" options. We also serve delicious gelati and desserts including homemade tiramisu made in the time honoured traditional style of the Rocca family.
Toronto, Canada
“Unbelievably poor treatment.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I go to Sotto Sotto about 5-6 times a year, mostly with vendors through work as an I.T. executive (convenient to my office). However, I will never ever set foot in Sotto Sotto again after the treatment I received yesterday and encourage anyone and everyone to do the same.

My cousin from Australia, who I see about once every 5 years, is passing through Toronto for a couple of nights so we made plans to have family dinner (6 adults) on the one night we could make work (Mon, Nov. 5). Knowing he likes Italian food, I thought of Sotto Sotto – the food is generally good and I like the warm, cozy atmosphere. Some things can be annoying (i.e. waiting an hour in line on a Sat despite having a reservation) but our plans were on a Mon so didn’t think there would be issues.

In late September, I checked OpenTable and saw nothing available so called the restaurant directly – was told there is a private party that had booked the entire restaurant so nothing was available. The hostess said she’d check to confirm and call me back ‘tomorrow’. Oh well. So we began looking at other options – Scarpetta, Aria, Buca, etc.

A few days later, on a whim (had not heard back from the hostess), I checked Sotto Sotto again on OpenTable and a table for 6 was available at 7 p.m. – so I made a reservation. Coincidentally, I got a call the next day from the hostess saying a table was available because of changes to the private party. I let her know we’d already booked…

Here’s where the unbelievably crappy experience starts – on Sun, Nov. 4 at 3:19 p.m. (yes, one day before our reservation), I get a call from the hostess telling me that the private party has ‘grown’ and they would be happy to move us to their ‘other restaurant’ or to ‘reschedule for another night’. Needless to say I lost it. Clearly Sotto Sotto had a large booking and, when the large booking either wavered or shrank, they needed to fill their restaurant so accepted reservations from people like me. And then when the large booking got bigger again they figured they could just cheerfully call and bounce my table of 6 with almost no notice and leave us scrambling to make alternate plans. I eat out at fine restaurants a lot and have never been jerked around like this before.

Well, Sotto Sotto has now lost all my future business – my personal dining, all my business dining, and anyone else I can convince to never go there (e.g. business colleagues). I suspect their arrogance stems from a belief that customers will keep coming regardless so don’t give a damn about people like me. I for one won’t put up with it – there are too many other superior restaurants in Toronto that know how to treat their clientele well (e.g. Scaramouche, any of the McEwan restaurants).

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank satkin02

• Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Toronto, Canada
“Who's Who is always here!”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

First time we have been disappointed.I started off with the tender octopus which turned out to be tough.My wife and I come specifically for the Pappardelle with porcini mushrooms...the mushrooms were dry and the pasta was too al diente.We were not happy,however our friends were very happy with their meals,perhaps a sous chef had a bad day.
The restaurant was very busy as alway so you need some patience with the service.The atmosphere and ambiance are great!You really feel you are in Italy and you may find yourself sitting next to a movie star.Make your reservation early!

• Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric Italian”
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Sotto Sotto is aptly named as it is a lower-ground-floor restaurant set in a sort of underground cavern. It's up Avenue Road, on the left about a quarter of a mile north of Bloor and opposite the Hazelton Mall. You descend into a grotto, with displays of produce laid out on the right, followed by an open kitchen, while on the left there are a few tables and a doorway that opens onto a larger eating area, where our party of three was shown to our table. The ceilings are low, with painted-in pipework round the edges. The walls are plastered or of rough-hewn stone, and decorated spasmodically with charming copies of classical Roman frescoes. The floor is laid with large terrcotta tiles. the tables are covered with heavy white damask tablecloths. In short, Sotto Sotto has loads of atmosphere. We booked early, arriving at 5.45pm to get our orders in before the noise levels rose too high. We were delighted with the freshness and quality of our dishes. Our starters were: thinly sliced Parma ham served on a wooden board, angel-hair pasta with seafood and tomato sauce, and grilled mushrooms drizzled with balsamic vinegar. The mushrooms were not the average nondescript affair one has come to expect, but consisted of four or five different shapes, sizes, textures and varieties, an indication of Sotto Sotto's care and commitment. Main courses were equally appetising: my wife and son chose veal scallopine, one with a traditional sauce and one with lemon, while I enjoyed excellent, genuinely home-made lasagne prepared by the proprieto's mother, I was told, with light fresh sheets of egg pasta and a delicious bolognese filling. A broccoli side-dish was impeccable, lifted by the occasional sweet clove of cooked garlic. It was all washed down with half a litre of the house Montepulciano. The dessert menu was pleasantly original, with seasonal berries flambé and vanilla ice, and sponge cake with banana and milk-chocolate sauce, and it was a pity our regime caused us to resist. Dinner came out at 60 dollars per head, excluding service, fair value for an enjoyable, well-served and authentic meal in a charming and atmospheric setting.

Livorno, Italy
“Nicely prepared Italian food”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Sotto Sotto is one of the many Italian restaurant in the cosmopolitan Toronto. The restaurant is in the trendy area of Yorkville. We made the reservation through the hotel we are staying. Waiting time at the entrance was very short and we were given a nice table.
The dishes are well-prepared, the pasta is properly cooked (I had pappardelle with meat balls in tomato sauce which was one of the dishes of the day). The tiramisu' was good, not excellent.
Service was fast and polite. My colleague tried the tuna and that was good too.

• Visited October 2012
Whitby, Canada
“Great Service and good food”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've eaten here before and the service is consistently good, we made last minute reservations and they made every effort to accomodate us. The food was pricey but very good and the service was pleasant and appreciated.

Visited October 2012