“Very Good - Could have been better”
Review of Toula Restaurant

Toula Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Toula Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,201 of 8,519 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown West
Description: Elegant and sophisticated! Welcome to Toula Ristorante and Bar. High atop Toronto's entertainment district, on the 38th floor of the Westin Harbour Castle, you will discover a one-of-a-kind dining experience. Overlooking Lake Ontario and the perfect city skyline, Toula offers one of the best views in the world to take your breath away. Enjoy the scenery with a culinary masterpiece prepared by our executive Italian chef and culinary team, using only the finest ingredients. Match this with a glass of wine from our extensive wine selection and you will be closer to heaven. Toula Toronto is another gem in the history of the Italian Toula Group chain, which started in Treviso, Italy near Venice in 1961. Today, forty eight years later, the name Toula is synonymous with elegance, original Italian cuisine and service, both in Italy and internationally. The company has grown to encompass several restaurant locations worldwide, in cities including Cortina, Rome, Milan, Munich and Tokyo, and has also been involved in various franchising and consulting opportunities throughout Asia and Europe. Special Events: Toula restaurant is perfect for corporate events, presentations, cocktails, weddings, showers and other special occasions.
Detroit, Michigan
“Very Good - Could have been better”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

In reading other reviews, I always take into account a) how many reviews this person has written; and b) the reviewer's location. In the case of Toula, I find that most of the reviewers who absolutely RAVE about it are from Toronto, and have written 1 review. Hmmm...You set up an account on Tripadvisor, live in Toronto, and ONLY chose to review this 1 restaurant?? Hmmm... makes me think some of these are from employees or managers of Toula.
Anyway, Toula is one of those restaurants that could have been so much more. We (family of 3) arrived without reservations, at about 8:00 p.m. on a Tuesday night. The place was about 1/2 full, but a party of some sort (baby/bridal shower, etc...) was wrapping up and taking up at least 5 tables of 8 people, so we were asked to wait in the cozy little 'lounge' area. Not a problem. 2 couples were there already, and we chatted a bit about the spectacular view, etc...
The 2 couples were seated pretty quickly, which left my wife, my son,and I to hold down the fort in the lounge. I could tell there was some issue with the bill from the bridal/baby shower folks...they were speaking in a foreign language, and then attempting to translate to English for the manager. It turns out (I asked the manager later, as I am a nosey American) what the fuss was with the large party. Well, it turned out, they all wanted separate checks!!! Can you imagine? At least 40 people, and probably 35 of them wanted separate checks... so it took an army of servers standing at the register trying to get it right. One of them told me later that the average tip was 5%. Unbelievable...
So, anyway, this is why I'm rating Toula a 4 star rather than a 3... becuase I knew the story behind our lengthy wait in the lounge. The manager even sent over 3 glasses of champagne for our troubles. Very nice. Especially considering my son is only 16 (we didn't realize this was an 'adults only' restaurant). Good thing he looks like he's 19!
The food:
I had to try the crab cake/halibut appetizer after the waitress raved about it. Good, but (2) small (1 bite) portions... $15.
My son ordered the seafood linguine, and gave it a (teenager's I'd-be-happy-with-Taco Bell) thumb's up. Cost: $27. His Coke was $4.
My wife and I split the Chateau Briand for two $95. It was cooked to a perfect 'medium' (I would like it a little more rare, but my wife would run screaming). Had a good crust, and was a very flavorful cut of beef. Was it worth $95? No... very small portion (probaby 6 ounces apiece) with a few veggies on the side. My wife's add-on salad looked very good. $7
My 2 Beam & Cokes cost $11 each, the same with my wife's rum & coke. They were strong, and in standard high-ball glasses.
The wife had dessert, but I can't remember what it was...figure $14
The Good:
Great views of the harbor, and the city at night really sparkles. Very flavorful food. Very nice waitress and manager...complimentary champagne. The bread doesn't need any addtional butter...amazing as is!
The Bad:
Portion sizes were small. The place looks a bit dated...we were told it used to rotate? THAT would have been awesome.
Tons of construction outside. Obviously, not the fault of the hotel or restaurant, but added to our frustrations coming and going.

I would recommend Toula, but go in understanding you are eating overpriced food, for the priviledge of being on the 38th floor above the harbor.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Chris E

• Turkish first
“Poor service”
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We waited 2 hours for our entree. Our server was very apologetic and said she complained to the kitchen staff and the manager. The manager, Nazmul, came by to apologize but later said he had no other complaints and would not take any accountability for the poor service although half of the restaurant was empty. To add insult to injury this restaurant does not offer interact payment option! The restaurant is dated and is sup par to other downtown Toronto hotel restaurants. I would NOT recommend.

Visited July 2013
Mississauga, Ontario
“A little too expensive”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Liked: The service was amazing
The view was stunning
The restaurant appearance was very posh

Disliked: I felt it was too overpriced
The amount of food for the price was not great.
My pasta was pouring with butter
The appetizer was ok- the smoked salmon was not fresh and tasted really fishy we actually watched as other people equally disliked it and left it on the plate.
Overall the experience was average. I can't say it was awful- we knew it was pricy but I would have liked to have more selection and a better price range to work within. especially since its the only restaurant close to the hotel on a rainy night.

Visited June 2013
Scarborough, ON
“Terrific Toula service!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband and I had one of the most romantic dinner at Toula. As soon as we entered the eatery, we were greeted with warm smile. Our server arrived with the menu as we were settling to be sited. We then ordered our drink and the server had given us some privacy to decide on our menu. As I looked around, beautiful candles were lid up, it's SO romantic, and the melody of the music remained me of my very first date with my husband, not to mention the most beautiful view in all of the GTA. The Scallops “Lido” for appetizer, tasted heavenly with the perfect sum of chardonnay Essence. Just like the appetizer, the Triple a Beef Tenderlion Filet Parmigiana was pleasantly amazing, the meat was tender and delightful. I did not have any space of dessert. The server was very bright and knowledgeable of the menu, he love his job and is so passionate about it. Our service at Toula was an unforgettable feast. I would definitely recommend anyone looking for a romantic night out.

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Such a shame”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were really excited about this restaurant but it was a bit of a let down. It really needs an update, it's quite old fashioned and does not seem to fit with the style of the hotel. We had a table overlooking half lake and half city - not bad but not a great seat - we could have been better placed given the restaurant was empty on the lake side. The food was good but nothing special. Overall we felt really disappointed with this restaurant.

• Visited June 2013