“Always amazing, even during Summerlicious”

The Monkey Bar & Grill
Ranked #538 of 8,569 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, International, Canadian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North End
Description: Now in its sixteenth year, The Monkey Bar continues to be praised by patrons and critics alike. Proprietor and classically-trained chef Richard Fox-Revett, formerly of Centro, Splendido and The Four Seasons Yorkville, offers a menu that is a flavourful fusion of Canadian, Italian, French and Asian influences, and includes seafood, game and vegetarian dishes. The atmosphere is inviting and the service is impeccable. Enjoy a pre-dinner drink from our martini menu, or a selection from our broad list of premium vodka and single malt scotch. An extensive wine list, featuring new and old world wines by the glass, half litre and bottle, complements your dining experience. In addition, all our desserts are made in-house. We even provide a children’s menu for the little ones. Our full menu is also available for takeout. The Monkey Bar offers upscale cuisine at affordable prices, all just steps from your front door. Come rediscover North Toronto’s favourite neighbourhood restaurant.
Toronto
“Always amazing, even during Summerlicious”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I don't usually write reviews for restaurants where I live but The Monkey Bar is so great that I feel compelled to say something positive, officially. My husband and I have eaten here a few times (once for our weeknight wedding anniversary) and I usually have the duck confit which is excellent...Very little fat, tender meat, and nice sides.

We were on our way to another restaurant in the area when we noticed they had a Summerlicious menu (3 courses $25). Despite not having a reservation, we were accommodated immediately and we were so happy. My meal, potato Cesar salad, tandoori talapia with sweet potato fries & the Eton mess for dessert was amazing and portions were regular size (something that is often scrimped on during Summerlicious). My husband had the duck lettuce wrap appetizer and veal and was very happy with both. We ended up being completely stuffed! The service, as always, was friendly and efficient; our water glass was continuously topped up, nice amount of time waiting between courses & cheerful staff despite being so busy. The prices on the regular menu are reasonable considering the quality of the food & our meal has never cost more that $100 with drinks.

This is easily one of the best restaurants in Toronto!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank sheltie_lover_4ever
Melissa F, Owner at The Monkey Bar & Grill, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for saying such nice things about us! We are always grateful when someone takes the time to let others know of their good experience at The Monkey Bar. It is our pleasure to serve you and we hope to see you again very soon!

Toronto, Canada
“No Monkeying Around Here...”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Not sure why they call it The Monkey but I'm sure there is possibly a good story behind it. This small restaurant on Yonge Street's ever changing and competitive gastronomic landscape does very well. I have been there a few times and they are always packed for dinner.
From the drink selections, appetizers, through dinner, and the amazing desserts, it is quite a culinary experience.
Last week, I had a caesar salad (light and tasty), the strip (grilled and rested perfectly medium - paired with a great cab sauv), and to finish ... the strudel. What a great dinner!
The restaurant is for those who like to take time and enjoy the a meal with family and friends.
I recommend that you make reservations or be potentially turned away.
Again...there is no Monkey business here! Just an amazing meal in a great setting.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank WearyWanderer_TO
RichardFoxRevett, Owner at The Monkey Bar & Grill, responded to this review, October 28, 2014
You are very kind. Thank you for visiting The Monkey Bar and for taking the time to post such nice things about us! We hope we will have the pleasure of your company again very soon.
Llangollen, United Kingdom
“the essentials: good food, good service”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I am guessing that this restaurant (in business for 15 years) has so few reviews because the regulars do not want to spread the good word around. This restaurant does not have fancy decor, but does not need it. Monkey Bar succeeds by providing diners professional service, first quality food, and, therefore, a great dining experience for a couple or a group.
Each person in our group of four had different entrees (pickerel, chicken, veal, and steak); each entrees was artistically prepared, served hot, and tasted wonderful.
I wish I lived in this neighbourhood: I would dine here on a weekly basis.

• Visited December 2013
Melissa F, Owner at The Monkey Bar & Grill, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such nice things about us! We often wonder, like you, whether our happy customers are keeping the Monkey Bar a secret too. Thanks for spreading the good news and reviews!
Toronto, Canada
“Quiet dining with friends”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Cold fall day and a great night to go out with friends for a quiet dinner. Servor and food were great and no rush..took our time and enjoyed...

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Peter W
Melissa F, Owner at The Monkey Bar & Grill, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Hello and thank you for your thoughtful review. We are pleased that you enjoyed yourself and took the time to let others know about us. We hope to see you again very soon.
Toronto, Canada
“great flavours and casual”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I went after work. Reasonably priced for the quality of food. We had appetizers and the special fish of the day -pickerel encrusted in I think nuts. I had goat cheese salad as an appetizer. Flavours blended well; healthy and clean. Quaint atmosphere, you could go casual. Service good, we were there early. Prices for appetizers/entrée/ btl of wine - $160 tip included. Entree's $25..Fresh and well done.

• Visited November 2013
We are very grateful that you took the time to post about your good experience at The Monkey Bar, and thank you for your kind words. See you again soon!