“Great oyster bar for downtown T.O. Rivals Rodney's”
Review of Pearl Diver

Pearl Diver
Ranked #91 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I liked this place.. great caesars, oysters were good also if a tad pricey.
Loved the Irishness and want to try sister restaurant ceili cottage.
Wait staff was excellent. Worth a visit.

1  Thank Jaxdulac

Reviewed February 11, 2013

This place has a great ambiance which I think is very important.
The oysters were excellent, and the main dishes were great.
Don't forget to try their toffee pudding.

1  Thank all_all_71
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I returned to starfish last night after many years. Terribly disappointed. The oysters were excellent, if one just wants oysters. My sea bream was raw in the center. ( I like everything rare, but raw I take exception to especially at a "fish" restaurant) Served with three halves of brussel sprouts and a smear of squash purree. I have not used salt on a restaurant dish in years, but on this fish, a necessity as it had absolutely no flavour. And not once did we see our waitress. The entrees are around $28 for this price I do not think it is wrong to expect good food and good servers. Even when the bus boy picked up my plate, he didn't comment on the piece of fish I left on the plate. Dessert was less than stellar. Go for happy hour oysters, but there are much better restaurants doing a lot more interesting mains than starfish.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Sampled Starfish for the first time during Winterlicious. Were accompanied by another couple who had been many times and considered Starfish one of their favorite restaurants. Starfish staff were very welcoming and professional. Winterlicious can bring out the best in servers and food. At Starfish it brought out the best in both. Smoked fishcakes to start were excellent. Smokey but not overpoweringly so. I requested my roasted Organic Irish salmon rare. It came perfectly cooked. My friend asked for his "not quite rare" and his too was cooked perfectly. My wife had Sea Bream. It was excellent as were the mussels that our 4th sampled. We all had Sticky Toffee Pudding first dessert. Fantastic. They added a 15% gratuity automatically to the bill which we fully understood and had no problem with because service was excellent - andWinterlicious can bring out the best and worst in customers. It was our first visit to Startfish but it will not be our last.

1  Thank Eric22754
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The food good but the overall appearance of filth and grime in the restaurant. Waitstaff was pleasant but really didn't care if we were there or not. Now for the appearance: wood floor looked like it had not been cleaned or refinished in 30 years, dirty,dull and extremely worn looking; the windows looked as if they were wiped with a dirty bar cloth; the black curtains had a layer of dust and dirt all over them; the "oyster" bar was just gross looking, dirty and unkempt; there was a cold draft throughout; the women's bathroom looked as if it was last cleaned 10 years ago. Too many other charming, engaging and clean restaurants to visit in Toronto than this one. Go elsewhere.; .