“Excellent Food, Excellent Service”

Southern Accent Restaurant
Ranked #301 of 8,772 Restaurants in Toronto
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Southern Accent has been serving the most authentic and exciting Cajun and Creole food in Toronto for 34 years. Recently relocated to the exciting College and Ossington neighbourhood, join us at the bar for a Cajun Cocktail or a bourbon from our collection accompanied by the best Calamari in the city. The restaurant is a tribute to the old victorian house in the Mirvish Village location, laced with all the old quirky artwork and charms. In a hurry? No need to worry. Grab 'n' go and high end take out are available from the express area at the entrance to the restaurant!
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I've been going to Southern Accents for about 7 years now. I didn't go for about a year and I was invited to go with some friends, and I forgot how awesome it was. Make sure you get there before 6 pm to take advantage of their half price apps. The shrimp and the hush puppies are amazing. I normally order the Voodoo pasta or the catfish. The decor is funky and cozy and the bartender is amazingly friendly and lots of fun! I recently recommended this place for a friends anniversary and they were thrilled with vibe and the way they were treated. I love this place!

SouthernAccent595, Owner at Southern Accent Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Nice to hear that you have re-discovered us! Thanks for spreading the word to your friends, too.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I came here on a Saturday evening with my boyfriend for winterlicious. At first glance the décor seems a bit tacky, but for me it just added to the personality of the restaurant. As a vegan, I was really attracted to their vegan menu and appreciated the variety of dietary restrictions they catered to. I had an eggplant cannelloni with marinara sauce as my appetizer, a brown rice, mushroom and cream quiche type dish with sautéed spinach for my main, and a lovely lemon sorbet for dessert. Its hard to explain the main dish I had, but it was delicious and very original. As a vegan sometimes food can feel a bit tired and repetitive, and this dish was something I had never tried before. My boyfriend had the blue crab as appetizer, jambalaya main, and bread pudding for dessert. He was a bit skeptical about the restaurant and the food choices he made, but he was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed every item.

Overall we had a great meal and a great time. The service was good, we didn't have to wait long at all to be seated and food came out quickly. We enjoyed this restaurant a lot!

Love the title of your review! We aim for funkiness;) Thanks for the positive feedback about our vegan options.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I recently went here with friends. The jambalaya was really good although nothing beats the homemade version. The gumbo was amazing. I also enjoyed the poutine! I was surprised to see it on the menu and it was really good! The bread pudding was lovely too.

The rooms are all different and eclectic. I really enjoyed the place. The waiter was wonderful. I will be back.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! Glad to hear that the food was to your liking.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Eaten for 30 years at this restaurant, and it was a real pleasure to see Francis last night!
I don't recall the number of martinis I consumed during my youth, at their bar :) BUT... they were always perfectly mixed by Robin, unfortunately he was absent.

The food remains perfectly presented and well worth the drive. The Lamb tender, cooked perfectly to order and eaten with the gusto it commanded. My Husband ordered the Catfish and it too was wonderful. Wendy and Richard were welcoming, professional, and took good care of us.

We enjoyed our meal, and were able to relax in this special and much loved restaurant where we have held family celebrations in the past.

It has been several years since our return, and it is so rare today to fine a restaurant that takes such pride in their kitchen, and consistently delivers wonderful food! Our thanks for a lovely evening.

1  Thank PeterandAlexandra
SouthernAccent595, Owner at Southern Accent Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Hi Peter and Alexandra, great to have you back with us again! Thanks for taking the time to post the positive review. Its always lovely to hear from such loyal, long-term customers!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

it's always fun when you deal with someone who loves there job and has fun working the crowd. Richard was a lot of fun. We were there on Hallowe'en.. the place was decked out inside and out with Hallowe'en decorations. A real funky restaurant with loads of atmosphere. Take a moment to walk around and check things out. We had the piquant shrimp with the PEI oysters (the oysters were excellent) followed with Cajun Catfish? and Blackened Chicken and finished with Bread pudding.. Everything was good.

1  Thank Vacationhugger
SouthernAccent595, Owner at Southern Accent Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thanks for the positive review Vacationhugger! We love Richard, too:) He always makes the evening fun!